Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power Steering hose leak, part question

Looks like one of my PS hoses is starting to give way. Definitely the rearmost hose as it is covered in seepage while the other is completely dry. Question to the group; how do I tell if it is the pressure hose or the return? The parts sites I visit have different SKUs for these pieces.

Also, these parts are sold as entire pipe/hose assemblies running from the pump body to the rack body. Now, it appears the leak is at the junction piece between the hose and the pipe section so if I could get away with just replacing the "soft" section that might be preferable. Is that a doable item or better go with the full assy.?

[presently giving self a dope-slap upside the head] I should have looked here first. This clearly shows the positions of the pipes AND that they are meant to be removed/installed as a single assembly.

I hear great things about that there internet; might be a big thing someday...

Looks like one of my PS hoses is starting to give way. Definitely the rearmost hose as it is covered in seepage while the other is completely dry. Question to the group; how do I tell if it is the pressure hose or the return? The parts sites I visit have different SKUs for these pieces.

Also, these parts are sold as entire pipe/hose assemblies running from the pump body to the rack body. Now, it appears the leak is at the junction piece between the hose and the pipe section so if I could get away with just replacing the "soft" section that might be preferable. Is that a doable item or better go with the full assy.?

More on this. It appears that most OEM sellers provide the pressure and return hoses as a combined set. This makes some sense as both of these hoses are bound together with brackets at several points along their length and the brackets do not appear to be serviceable. Since these are both 'soft spots' in the PS system it is probably advisable to replace both anyway. It is probably not so advisable to replace with used parts since age and fatigue can do a number on high-pressure-stressed parts like these.

I hope to get on this replacement in a couple of weeks; not driving much now and going on vaca. shortly. Will report my results and observations.

• 1 month later...
More on this...
Even more now. I have found single pressure hoses for sale at Autozone under the "Powercraft" branding for about $25. I also found a "United States" brand at thepartsbin.com for $63. Dealer OEM parts only come in a pressure-return bundle for over $200. The fastenings on the engine block DO seem serviceable on closer observation; the rubber cushions appear to be in 2 parts and the metal brackets are held shut by screws.

Question to the group; does anyone have experience with these or other brands of replacement hoses? Experiences to share, etc? Price differences are significant but I would hate to find out later that I only got what I paid for.

• 11 months later...
More on this. It appears that most OEM sellers provide the pressure and return hoses as a combined set. This makes some sense as both of these hoses are bound together with brackets at several points along their length and the brackets do not appear to be serviceable. Since these are both 'soft spots' in the PS system it is probably advisable to replace both anyway. It is probably not so advisable to replace with used parts since age and fatigue can do a number on high-pressure-stressed parts like these.

I hope to get on this replacement in a couple of weeks; not driving much now and going on vaca. shortly. Will report my results and observations.

thanks for the tip descient-every yard I check is void of this part, we are selling the car so a single hose is fine...the other hose seems fine...Autozone and the Partsbin...got it. if this works out then more props your way. :banana: