Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stuck bolt in head

any ideas for a cyl head that has a rocker arm bolt stuck (rusted) in it? while taking the rocker arms off, I kind of snapped the bolt and also stripped the threads out of the case (on said stuck bolt). So I've got the head off, but do I now have a doorstop instead of an engine? The bolt is sticking out of each side of the head, but liquid wrench and various hammers won't dislodge it.

maybe just new heads?

I also had a problem with the threads in the block stripping out when I pulled the heads off my motor. I used carbon steel insets on all 18 bolt holes and put it all back together. So far so good. The inserts are called timeserts. They actually make them in the right size and pitch for the EA82, so it was pretty handy.

Unfortunately I wish I had a digital camera to show the poor cyl. head in my garage... the stuck rocker arm bolt is rusted in the head where there are no threads. I broke the bolt off trying to turn it while it was together on my engine stand, so the rocker arm assm. is off... and the the head is off now since the threads somehow stripped out. I'll work on borrowing a camera for a shot of this.

[ ]

====[ ]===

[ ]

[ ]

[_____]

It looks sort of like this diagram... Imagine this being a side view of the cylinder head and the broken bolt stuck in it. The motor sat under my brother in laws' house for about ten years which I guess is the cause of the rust. I'm thinking that it'll have to be drilled out, because it's really stuck in there good.

Thanks for the info on fixing the threads... hopefully I can save the heads and get this thing together soon.h

Naww... it's an EA81 from an 83 wagon. If I can fit heads with more flow, I wouldn't be all that opposed to it. Am I limited to an EA81 head though?

Got a super cheap dig. camera so now I'm ready to show pictures of future debacles!