Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leone diesel!!??

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right Matt, inline. But I think that IF U are going to put a D. into a roo, the VW IS the way to go. I would use the oil pan, pick-up, ect. from the Vanagon and mount it the same way. Would give ALOT more clearance under the EA81 & EA82 hoods.

do you mean to add a turbo to a N/A motor

You could, but the diesel guys recommend against running too much boost if you do that, and to especially watch the EGT's. The turbo motors have oil cooled pistons which the NA ones didn't. You can apparently melt the pistons....

Right Matt, inline. But I think that IF U are going to put a D. into a roo, the VW IS the way to go. I would use the oil pan, pick-up, ect. from the Vanagon and mount it the same way. Would give ALOT more clearance under the EA81 & EA82 hoods.

I agree, and that's most likely what I'm planning on doing. But Kubota also makes some pretty nice turbo diesel engines, and the bigger ones are around 1.7 - 1.9 liter. Three cylinder so they might fit better in the length department, but I don't know about height. They usually redline at 3,600 though, so you'd have gobs of low end torque, but nothing on the highway....

do you mean to add a turbo to a N/A motor

Yeah. Put a turbo on it from an EA82T or something. I think there's an adjustment for max fueling on the VW pumps, which you could probably turn up a bit. I'm not sure if the timing would need tweaking. Just get an EGT gauge and watch it religiously while you experiment.

I agree, and that's most likely what I'm planning on doing. But Kubota also makes some pretty nice turbo diesel engines, and the bigger ones are around 1.7 - 1.9 liter. Three cylinder so they might fit better in the length department, but I don't know about height. They usually redline at 3,600 though, so you'd have gobs of low end torque, but nothing on the highway....

Might RL@3600RPM, but I bet they make GOOD power all the way there. With a 5spd, and 3.70's insted of 3.90's it should work great. But I'm not sure if U can get 3.70 gears in a 5spd Man. trans. Running big tires would help too. 27's @ least, 28's or 30's would work even better. U would still have all the TQ U need on the bottoum

it is more then just adding a turbo and ajusting the fuel ratio..turbos that come from the factory also have injection pumps that put out more pressure along with different injectors

Yeah. Put a turbo on it from an EA82T or something. I think there's an adjustment for max fueling on the VW pumps, which you could probably turn up a bit. I'm not sure if the timing would need tweaking. Just get an EGT gauge and watch it religiously while you experiment.