Ultimate Subaru Message Board

electric fan

no, not really if everything is working properly - they will take the same amount of power to run, one is driven directly, the other uses the alternator to deliver the power to it - same difference

the only real possible upgrade I see is improved cooling

no, not really if everything is working properly - they will take the same amount of power to run, one is driven directly, the other uses the alternator to deliver the power to it - same difference

O darn

is there any other cheap way to get power.

I converted my wagon to SPFI - the hitachi carb SUCKS - improved power and fuel economy

is it cheap? - depends on your parts source

is it easy? - no, but it is still very do-able - there is a section in the repair manual about it - I converted mine before it was written

is it worth it? - if you can do it YES!!! - big power, performance, and reliability gain

is there an easier solution - yes, put on a Weber Carbuerator - but not really cheap

BTW - do you have OEM wires, NGK plugs, and an OEM cap and rotor for your disty? - if not, installing them will probably up your power a bit

I would first check to see if it would be a prob. with emissions folks in your area - the carb itself is not hard to come by, but you need a special adaptor plate, and that is harder to find

whether it is worth it or not depends on how badly you want more power, I have a friend that had a weberized soob, and loved the difference, but I skipped that mod, and went strait to FI, so I cannot comment on it

Dyno's have proven that converting from mechanical to electric fan does increase hp. But with a little well worn clutch fan don't expect a big gain, maybe 2-3hp at best. On a full size pickup with a 20-inch clutch fan gains or much higher and noticeable , 10hp & 19 ft. lb. torque on average. If 2 or 3 hp is okay with you slap a 14-inch Hayden or similar fan on and a controller. Do not mount it with a through the core style straps as they can wear through the core. The Hayden fan on my Brat matched three bolt holes with minor modification, I used 1 ty strap but it does not support the fan. A good free flowing muffler will probably gain you about the same hp. A webber might get you 5 hp.

• 5 months later...

the electric motor is much more efficient, you won't gain much, but fuel economy may increase.

The main advantage I can see to the electric fan is that it's only running when you need it, which is not often. That mechanical fan is ALWAYS sucking a little bit of power from the engine. It's also more rotating mass that has to be spun up when you rev, so response might be a bit quicker without it.

At least in my experience the stock electric fan alone isn't adequate for all situations. Maybe with a 2-row turbo radiator, but not with the stock 1-row.

My car also seems to warm up faster in the winter without the mechanical fan constantly spinning.

I found that just the stock electric fan is plenty 99.9% of the time. only times I've had problems with the car is when I've forgotten to turn it on...:rolleyes:

I'd pull off the mechanical, I didn't notice any direct power increases, but I think it did get better freeway mileage (helps to have the electric fan off when above ~35mph).