Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help w/ Broken Front Coil Spring on 1996 Legacy Outback

Argh!

My driver's side front coil spring has a huge crack at the top! I noticed a funny sound about three weeks ago and the front end just felt "loose"; I had put a posting on the board about it. I finally got it checked out yesterday and thankfully my "factory recall spring gaurds" saved my new snow tires from getting damaged!

But anway, does anyone know of a good supplier for coil springs? I was told I should replace both front springs.

I'm not looking to get better handling out of the car (ie I don't need aftermarket tuner springs) but I do need a good deal, because I'm a very poor (but happy) medical student with no time for a DIY fix.

Thanks for the help....

Cardy Jones

Argh!

My driver's side front coil spring has a huge crack at the top! I noticed a funny sound about three weeks ago and the front end just felt "loose"; I had put a posting on the board about it. I finally got it checked out yesterday and thankfully my "factory recall spring gaurds" saved my new snow tires from getting damaged!

But anway, does anyone know of a good supplier for coil springs? I was told I should replace both front springs.

I'm not looking to get better handling out of the car (ie I don't need aftermarket tuner springs) but I do need a good deal, because I'm a very poor (but happy) medical student with no time for a DIY fix.

Thanks for the help....

Cardy Jones

Exact same thing happened to me. Subaru replaced the broken one and I bought the other one from the dealer. You could also buy it at a discount internet dealer like 1stSubaruparts for probably less.

Argh!

Thanks for the help....

Cardy Jones

We had the same recall on our '98 Legacy Outback. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't that recall notice indicate Subaru will replace any broken spring(s) at no charge during the normal life of the vehicle?

Considering how long these critters last, what is "normal life"?

96 Legacy wagon

Well, you're right....there's no definition of "normal life". I can tell you this, though: For years, I worked at a Chevrolet dealer (that's why I drive a Subaru) and one important thing I learned was that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration specifies that recalls do not expire.

I re-read the front spring recall letter on the NHTSA website. The Subaru recall number was WWE-88 and, among other stuff, it states "....If the front coil springs break due to corrosion at any time after front spring guards are installed, you are eligible to have broken springs replaced at no cost to you even if your vehicle is out of warranty."

You may want to re-read Subaru recall number WWE-88 by going to www.nhtsa.dot.gov and decide if this situation applies to you.

In my case Subaru Canada required to inspect the broken spring first, to be sure the failure was corrosion related, before laying down the cash for the spring. I argued that they should also pay for the other one cause it could fail anytime and cause it would not be good practice to replace only one, but to no avail.

Thanks for all the advice...

I'm happy to read that Subaru may cover this problem; I had the spring guards installed in 2001 (right after I got the car); the car has spent all 9 years in upstate New York (presently in the Salt City), and given the body rust that has developed (more than avg. for a '96), I'd imagine my spring failure is due to corrosion. Right now, I need to get the VIN and have the dealer "check" if my car is eligible for recall work (it seems pretty clear, given that the recall covers all outbacks from 1995-1998).

I also hope to convince Subaru to fix the right (intact) coil spring to PREVENT failure (but I'll be happy if the broken one is fixed gratis).

I appreciate continued advice on this matter, and I'll post my "saga".

Thanks,

Cardy Jones

After an expected bout of fingerpointing between the local Subaru dealers and SOA, my local Subaru dealer is replacing the front coil spring free of charge. Initially, the local dealer service manager was very rude, but a little patience on my part and polite words went a long way. Thanks again for the help.

Cardy Jones 1/2MD (will school EVER end?!?!)