Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing/reinstalling front axle shafts...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mwatt

mwatt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Rockville

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:29 AM

I was going to try doing it myself on my wife's '98 Legacy Outback LTD (automatic) because the passenger-side inner CV boot is starting to sling grease. So I want to R&R the axle shafts myself, then bring them to a friend who works at a dealer to have the boot kits installed since I don't have the special tool required to install the new boot clamps properly. Have any of you folks removed/reinstalled axle shafts yourself, and run into difficulty while doing that? I have volumes 8 and 9 of the factory manual so the details are in there...and it doesn't sound too difficult. Am I right when I'm thinking "not too difficult"??

Mark

#2 The Dude

The Dude

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • South Carolina

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:44 AM

I was going to try doing it myself on my wife's '98 Legacy Outback LTD (automatic) because the passenger-side inner CV boot is starting to sling grease. So I want to R&R the axle shafts myself, then bring them to a friend who works at a dealer to have the boot kits installed since I don't have the special tool required to install the new boot clamps properly. Have any of you folks removed/reinstalled axle shafts yourself, and run into difficulty while doing that? I have volumes 8 and 9 of the factory manual so the details are in there...and it doesn't sound too difficult. Am I right when I'm thinking "not too difficult"??

Mark

Do a "search" because there is a lot of good information on this board on this subject. I just R&R the front driver half axle on my 99 Forester. It was fairly easy. The biggest problem for most people is probably getting the axle nut off. I live in SC so no rust here. I needed a torque wrench with a higher limit anyway, so I went to Habor Freight and got a 3/4" model for about $70. I removed the anchoring bolt from the front bushing on the stabilzer bar, loosened the pinch bolt and popped the ball joint out of the knuckle. If I have to do the job again, and I probably will, I could do it in about 1/2 hour tops. Do not forget a new roll pin and axle nut. There are probably at least fifty threads on this subject, so read a little first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users