Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi there.

Name: True Tourtillott

Car: 99 Legacy Outback Wagon (white)

Interests: Cycling, surfing, skiing, running

Kinda havin a problem with the tranny.

When I shift into drive sometimes nothing happens for a bit before the tranny engages. Stopped by AA beep-beep MCO and they guy said he didn't know much about Subies (that inspired confidence) but did a little reading and thought it might be one of the internal servos or the TCU.

Does this jive with the knowledge base?

Thanks,

True

In the older legacies, there was a problem with a valve losing pressure, leaking. It made the auto trannies hesitate upon start up. One could fix it, but it's a royal pain. I've been running mine for 3 years like that and no continued problems other than letting it idle to build up pressure. That's no a big deal up here where you need to let the motor warm up anyway.

My 2000GT had the transmission replaced at 35000 miles due to a delayed engagement. Seems like it was a known probelm with an inadequacy in a valve internal to the transmission. Call your local Sube dealer and ask them about delayed engagement. They are well aware of the problem. I guess you're out of the 5 year / 60K drive train warranty?!