Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brat soft top?

Has anyone ever made a soft top for the back of thier brat? It would be cool to have on where the sides and the back rolled up like on broncos, old 4 runners and jeeps. I guess you would need a cross bar of some sort across the back of the bed. I'm not sure how you would fasten the sides down. I know I wouldnt want snaps screwed into the side of the body pannels.

I've heard that they make soft tops now that do not require snaps.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever done a rack like that? One that crosses the bed at the tailgate?

just curious.

They used to have one for the beds but it didn't go up the sides. They also made a hard cover that DID go up the sides, I THINK Mick has one or at least the article. I found a BRAT the other day in Audobon NJ that has snaps all the way up so it looks like someone has tried this already. I didn't get a chance to talk to the guy though. He's actually closer to EJ. He's got two baja light mounted to front bumper and the BRAT has some rust but it's better than some I have seen. Majic auto repair on the white horse pike in Audobon. EJ, You listening????

the hard tonneau cover was only available on the Gen1 (and yes I have one of those)

the soft ones were available for both. I ALMOST had a Gen2 soft cover from eBay (SubaruBratBoy sold it) but got outbid at $225.00

I've seen both types. ones that went all the way up the sides, and ones that stayed flat.

I had an 86 brat that had the snaps up the sides (on the chrome trim strips), and it had a long bar across the top, so that the front was totally attached to not catch any air.

someone offered to make some a while back, but didn't get enough response.

I'm sure you could go to a custom upholstery shop, and have one made.