Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much power can a RX trans take? EJ22T Power?

I’m looking at an EJ22T swap for my RX, the donor car is an auto with a bad trans so I’ll need an EJ 5MT or… adapt it to the EA F/T box.

Keeping the dual range and diff lock would be great, but I don’t know how it would hold up, especially with spirited driving. The EA box seems to hold up well in the XT6 and the EJ22T isn’t too much more power, but I eventually plan on some mods to pump up the EJ, maybe looking for 250HP or so. I know the clutch will be an issue, is there any options beyond the one from the XT6? My current RX trans works fine but has 294,000 miles on it, how long do you think it would last? Maybe tell the second hard launch? :-\

If I go with the EJ 5MT I’m thinking the N/A would be an easier fit since it’s a cable type and I could keep the RX pedal box, but I’d need the N/A rear diff too. How much is an EJ 5MT with diff going to cost me? Anybody have one lying around? Clutch options, I’ve heard the 2.5RS will fit, true?

And will my 3.7 LSD parts fit into the 4.11 diff?

Gary

EA trannys are tough, but not EJ22T tough.

If it was N/A and you were gonna be doin normal driving, yes the tranny would hold up. But a Ej22t stock or with mods, is gonna spin the gears out pretty fast in a EA series tranny.

There is a few threads goin around right now, how people toasted EA trannys with EJ motors. Someone burned out 2nd gear, on ice....