Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WRX suspension into a brumby, HELP????

Brumby Boy

well, the problem with installing WRX drivetrain into a brat/brumby is that the 2 cars are...

different widths

4 lug/5 lug

3 bolt front struts/3 bolt rears on the WRX, and 2 bolt front and shocks+ tortion bar in the brat....

what I would reccomend...

if you just want suspension only (including 5 lug hubs so you can use all the cool wheels out there)

redrill your strut towers to accept the 3 bolt strut tops (unless you can change the strut top to the 2 bolt from the EA81 body onto the WRX struts)

using XT6 (5 lug) hubs for front and rear (so that the WRX front struts bolt at the carriers)

custom axles for the front- probably need to order these online-

ask for halfshafts with XT6 CV (outer) axle end, EA81 (brat) axle shaft and DOJ (inner) so you get the right length...

I have not done this conversion, but this is the jist of it- check in other threads for XT6 5 lug swap for more info relating to this topic

i am at at a loss as to how the rexy suspension is bup into a brumby properly there are a few guys around tsvl in Far north Qld that have done it but it seams to be very dodgey and unsafe please help me any pics or info will be a great help.
I'm in the process of putting the complete Impreza suspension on my '83 Brat. So far I'm still working on the front and here's what I found out. You need the Impreza crossmember with the power steering rack in it. The lower 'A' arms will bolt to it at the front and you will have to fab the rear pivot mount.To get the rear pivot mount to clear the frame rail you will need to do at least a 2" lift (I'm doing a custom 3" lift). The upper strut mount will have to be modified (haven't got to that yet) and this set-up will increase your tread width about 2". I'm not sure about the axles but, I'm using the Impreza engine/trans also so they fit right in. The standard Impreza disc brake set-up is much more heavy duty than our original Brat stuff (even the Turbo Brat brakes look puuny next to the Impreza stuff) and last but not least with this new stuff you don't have to pull the frickin' axle just to change a rotor anymore. Just my .02 Gary