Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what kind and size socket is needed to remove the front diff plug on a 2003 legacy outback (4cyl, AT)? Looks like a torx or star-type of some kind.
Not sure if this helps but for my '93 L I needed a 22mm socket. Special socket at HD but fits on a standard 3/8" wrench.

See if the plug has a hexagonal outer surface. A socket of requried size might be easier to find and manage.

Not to disagree with the previous 2 posts (but I guess I am anyway), but on my '95 Lsi it took a 21mm socket. I know this because my woefully inadequate 1/2" socket set at the time (2 weeks ago) only went up to 17mm, so I had to drive into Madison to buy the Craftsman 21mm socket separately.

• 1 month later...

The plug is a T70 INTERNAL torx. U can buy one from toolsource website for 29.50 + shipping (mfg = Stahlwille); or u can purchase from shopcreator.com (UK site) - buy 2 sockets for less than $6 each, but will cost $12 to ship them from England- $24 total; or u can go to awrtools.com and buy a 17 piece impact set [including the T70] for $47.95 + shipping, which is the route I plan to take. This same impact set is available on ebay for $60 and upwards.

toolsource is gouging us since they know we can't get it anywhere else.

• 3 months later...
The plug is a T70 INTERNAL torx. U can buy one from toolsource website for 29.50 + shipping (mfg = Stahlwille); or u can purchase from shopcreator.com (UK site) - buy 2 sockets for less than $6 each, but will cost $12 to ship them from England- $24 total; or u can go to awrtools.com and buy a 17 piece impact set [including the T70] for $47.95 + shipping, which is the route I plan to take. This same impact set is available on ebay for $60 and upwards.

toolsource is gouging us since they know we can't get it anywhere else.

I called up awrtools but they do not list that set. Do you have the product number?