Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Baja convert from auto to manual?

OK, so I should have bought my 2005 Baja with a manual trans....the auto trans version is a dog.

When my extended warranty is up in about 3 years, I want to convert to a manual transmission.

Anyone know how costly that might be?

Also, would it be a direct bolt in, to include the clutch linkage?

thanks!

By that point in time, it should be cheap as wrecked Bajas should be available in the yards. But I might think about hunting around now to locate a tranny with low miles on it to put in then so you won't be bothered with buying a tranny that's already been pounded to a pulp.

OK, so I should have bought my 2005 Baja with a manual trans....the auto trans version is a dog.

When my extended warranty is up in about 3 years, I want to convert to a manual transmission.

Anyone know how costly that might be?

Also, would it be a direct bolt in, to include the clutch linkage?

thanks![/quote

You shouldn't even consider doing this.....there are so many changes between an automatic vehicle and a manual vehicle that you can't even see.....

People did that on cars back in the 60's and 70's but not now.

About ten years ago, I asked how much it would take to convert a 93 VW Passat from an auto to a stick. The service rep at the dealer said that a job like that would cost about 20 large. It ain't worth it, man. All I have to say is that you should've checked the facts before you committed. However, you should be able to return the car and welch on the deal within a certain amount of time. 30 days, I believe. Check it out.

About ten years ago, I asked how much it would take to convert a 93 VW Passat from an auto to a stick. The service rep at the dealer said that a job like that would cost about 20 large. It ain't worth it, man. All I have to say is that you should've checked the facts before you committed. However, you should be able to return the car and welch on the deal within a certain amount of time. 30 days, I believe. Check it out.

That may have been the case at the time for a dealer (and even then highly exaggerated), but certainly isn't now. Check out VWvortex- many guys there have changed their 1990-94 auto passats over to manual trannies, due to a horrible auto on these cars. For under $1500 in most cases. In fact, for even less than $1000 for those who do much of the work themselves.

Now granted the BAJA would be a lot more difficult due to a more complicated ECU/electronic system, but certainly wouldn't be astronomically difficult or expensive, especially with used parts.

Also, selling your baja now for a manual one would probably be a lrage mistake - the money you'd lose through depreciation would certainly cost more than the amount to swap trannies, and you'd be getting a car you have no idea how it was treated.

I say go for the swap, and plan early. The tranny isn't probably unique to the baja, and same goes for many other associated components. Hunt them done from wreckers, one piece at a time, then set up a mechanic willing to do the work for you if not yourself.

Good luck!

Quote:

You shouldn't even consider doing this.....there are so many changes between an automatic vehicle and a manual vehicle that you can't even see.....

Bull....done two swaps myself on a 97 impreza and a 91 legacy....easy as pie if you know what your doing....but on an 05??? buy another one.....

Thanks, Simbly. You beat me to that and saved me from having to say it. Mtnpat, there are a few "gotchas" that you will have to look out for, that make the job a lot harder than it probably should be. One is that there is likely some differences in the wiring between the auto and manual tranny cars, as in differences in the wiring to the engine, lots of stuff under the dash, etc. . .

I also hate auto transmissions, myself, as they make the whole car a lot harder to work on with tranny components in the way all over the place. . . How is your Baja a "dog"? Perhaps there is a much easier/cheaper way to de-canine your 'Roo?

That may have been the case at the time for a dealer (and even then highly exaggerated), but certainly isn't now. Check out VWvortex- many guys there have changed their 1990-94 auto passats over to manual trannies, due to a horrible auto on these cars. For under $1500 in most cases. In fact, for even less than $1000 for those who do much of the work themselves.

Now granted the BAJA would be a lot more difficult due to a more complicated ECU/electronic system, but certainly wouldn't be astronomically difficult or expensive, especially with used parts.

Also, selling your baja now for a manual one would probably be a lrage mistake - the money you'd lose through depreciation would certainly cost more than the amount to swap trannies, and you'd be getting a car you have no idea how it was treated.

I say go for the swap, and plan early. The tranny isn't probably unique to the baja, and same goes for many other associated components. Hunt them done from wreckers, one piece at a time, then set up a mechanic willing to do the work for you if not yourself.

Good luck!

Finally someone with some sense! Thanks for the input, what I was thinking too.....not selling car now and taking depreciation hit, not buying someones used vehicle. Sure it may cost a few large (not 20 large), it is still something I am thinking of doing in a few years.

By that point in time, it should be cheap as wrecked Bajas should be available in the yards. But I might think about hunting around now to locate a tranny with low miles on it to put in then so you won't be bothered with buying a tranny that's already been pounded to a pulp.

Good idea, thanks. Maybe I could find someone with a manual Subie and run them off the road ;-), then follow wrecker to scrapyard ;-).

People still do it, believe it or not.

Not talking about doing it right now, on my brand spankin new 7k miles 2005 Subie, but in 3 years it will have 100k plus miles on it, warranty will be up, and I will be itching for something different no doubt.

The service rep at the dealer said that a job like that would cost about 20 large.

LOL, service reps SUCK, so do most dealerships....exactly why I buy factory service manuals for all my cars and do the work myself.

How is your Baja a "dog"? Perhaps there is a much easier/cheaper way to de-canine your 'Roo?

Ahh, another with some sense :-)

To answer your question, the 4-speed automatic is just a bit too shift happy for me...always wanting to get into the overdrive gear when it does not have the rump roast to pull it. When in stop and go traffic, or around town, I find myself manually shifting the automatic trans a lot, to keep the engine in some sort of power band. So basically the 165hp normally aspirated engine has no oomph between 2 and 3k rpms.

I didn't buy the turbo because I did not want to have to pay for premium gas, and then get less miles per gallon. Very happy currently getting 30mpg highway.

Considering everything involved with the tranny swap, it might be a wise idea to put out the engine at the same time and put some work into it. Replace timing belt, oil pump, water pump, cam seals, ead-gaskets, piston ring/guide seals, etc. Early I know, but while you're at it...

If you want to keep the engine and beef it up as NA, port the intake and maybe put in a mroe aggressive cam. May put in some higher compression pistons too. Means 91 octane for sure after that though.

If you'd rather blow it, look for a low compression supercharger kit. If you lower your compression enough and retard the timing a bit, you might be able to get by on 87 octane (but better off with 91). Either that or consider a swap to a turbo engine.

Then put in a lighter flywheel, with a better clutch to handle the torque.

But, this is getting way ahead of yourself.;)

Yup valve body and torque converter upgrades would make a huge difference.

Then again, you still only have 165hp in it. Maybe an engine swap too while you're at it. :brow:

Only 165 horse! pshaw! back in the old days we had to make do with 73 horse, then 87 then a whopping 90. 165 horse is more than enough, and getting 30 mpg is good too. The manual tranny swap will be a pain, if the car has abs, that will make it harder too. I'd just get used to the tranny, or sell the car once it reaches the value plataue (sp?). A reprogramed chip for the TCU might be availabe to make the shifting more positive. 4EAT stands for 4 speed Electronically Actuated Transmission, so the electronic actuation can be mucked with, making the valve bodies more oblsoete. Torque converters with higher stall speeds will improve launches and aceleration, but reduce milage. I belive the post starter is pining for the controll that a manual tranny once gave them and is not used to the sappy world of automatics.

Manuals forever! :headbang:

It looks like this could be a rather dicey job and you could end up with a pile of expensive pieces, or a car that doesn't run quite right.

I would look around for a lightly used manual.

I was in the same boat... I had a 6 month old Hyundai that I hated, talk about no guts! I would go to pass a car and the passing gear would kick in and quit half-way through the pass! I didn't trust the car!

I went to buy a new Baja... with my Hyundai's trade-in of half its original sticker price (I didn't pay sticker, but you get the point), and the residual on the loan, a new one was out of the question.

Anyway, I found my '05 turbo 5 sp. with only 5,000 mi. on it. The guy traded it in on a Ford truck, when he found the Baja was too small for his needs. The depreciation between both cars was relative to the original sticker prices and my residual so it all balanced out... I ended up with a car that I trust and love driving. Win/win.