Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What should I modify on my WRX?

Can I get a whopper with fries and a coke? OK, I'll take a McFish with fries and a Dr Pepper.

Sorry... but I'm old, and I'm happy;

I was once like you are now,

and I know that it's not easy,

to find a car that has all the things, that I cry for... (my sincerest apologies to Cat Stevens)

Why buy what you didn't want?

Can I get a whopper with fries and a coke? OK, I'll take a McFish with fries and a Dr Pepper.

Sorry... but I'm old, and I'm happy;

I was once like you are now,

and I know that it's not easy,

to find a car that has all the things, that I cry for... (my sincerest apologies to Cat Stevens)

Why buy what you didn't want?

The reason that ANYONE buys a WRX without mods is so that they can do it themself so they know what has been done to the car. Anyway, it only had 1700 miles on it so it was new.

The reason that ANYONE buys a WRX without mods is so that they can do it themself so they know what has been done to the car. Anyway, it only had 1700 miles on it so it was new.

If I wanted an automatic vehicle i'd buy a Cadilac or Lincoln...not a turbocharged Subaru ;)

If you want to improve gas mileage change the plugs and filters when they need it. Do not put on a cold air intake or something...that will kill your fuel economy.

If you want performace...you already have a sucky off the line time due to the auto tranny...and a cold air intake would make it even worse. I'd get a better turbo or new engine components.

What you have said is kind of an oxymoron. One of the cheapest ways I know to get power is a cold air intake. This will ruine your gas mileage, and so will any most other hp gaining mods. Looks like you are gonna have to give up on saving the gas for performance, or you could buy a hybrid.

Although I HATE autos, I have to accept that not everyone can drive a manual (or has not been trained) and that they do exist. I would reccomend the Cobb reflash via their accessport and their aftermarked exhaust. For about $1600 this will get you a conservative tune of 285 HP, safe and mild as mods go. Then I would get a set of STI strut and sping take-offs. If you shop around you can get a good price on this. While this won't make it an STI, it will improve handeling but not become abusive on the road, and give you more punch without huge impacts on fuel economy and reliability.

Although I HATE autos, I have to accept that not everyone can drive a manual (or has not been trained) and that they do exist. I would reccomend the Cobb reflash via their accessport and their aftermarked exhaust. For about $1600 this will get you a conservative tune of 285 HP, safe and mild as mods go. Then I would get a set of STI strut and sping take-offs. If you shop around you can get a good price on this. While this won't make it an STI, it will improve handeling but not become abusive on the road, and give you more punch without huge impacts on fuel economy and reliability.

Thanks...I finally received a post that was not sarcastic or ridiculing! I am certainly interested in the strut bars and wonder how long it takes to install them. About the automatic...I have owned 5 cars in my short life and 4 have been manual and this is my first auto. In fact, I prefer a manual, but when the price is right (13,400) for an 04 wrx with less than 3000 miles on it I will take it! Anyways, I heard that for around $1100 I can get an exaust kit that will get rid of the turbo lag and make it as fast or faster than a manual. I will still miss the manual, but honestly I have enjoyed my drive in the automatic.

Hmm, a turbo engine has the potential for quite good economy, since it actually re-uses the hot gases to drive the turbo impeller, instead of just dumping them like a non-turbo.

However! Using the performance available will hurt economy. Basically, your right foot decides.

I would have jumped at tha chance to buy your car, too.

But, to actually answer the question: A full exhaust system would be the way to go. Right from the headers, down pipe, up pipe, through a sports catalyst (keep it legal) and into a free flowing rear silencer. With a remapped ECU you could gain 25-30bhp. More important, you have much sharper throttle response due to less restriction.

If your light on your right foot, you could also increase your mileage by a few percent.

Like other people have said, a full exhaust (uppipe, down pipe, and the rest) and a tune would be the best bang for the buck performance. Cobb tuning has great quality parts, but the engine managment that they use is kind of limited so if you plan to go crazy with it (larger tubro, injectors, fuel pump) i would rather go with something other than accessport. But if you plan on doing a couple of things it should work great. I wouldn't recomend a intake upgrade because most of them create iratic intake readings which make the car run lean or rich which is not good for it.

As stated above leave the intake alone. The exhaust with the cobb kit is a full turbo back replacement, by itself good for only a marginal gain, you need the whole package to realize the braoder powerband and greater increased output. Why go $1100 for a 10 Hp gain when you can go for 50~60 Hp for $1600? As far as the struts, I am not talking about the bars (unless you meant sway bars) the strut top bars are a gimmick piece of eye candy that don't do anything but waste money. The chassis is very stiff as is and you won't gain anything meaningful with the strut tower bars. What I am reffering to is replaceing the strut itself and the spring with STI units that were pulled from an STI that upgraded to something else. I did this on my RS before I got my STI and makes it a whole different car.

Thanks...I finally received a post that was not sarcastic or ridiculing! I am certainly interested in the strut bars and wonder how long it takes to install them. About the automatic...I have owned 5 cars in my short life and 4 have been manual and this is my first auto. In fact, I prefer a manual, but when the price is right (13,400) for an 04 wrx with less than 3000 miles on it I will take it! Anyways, I heard that for around $1100 I can get an exaust kit that will get rid of the turbo lag and make it as fast or faster than a manual. I will still miss the manual, but honestly I have enjoyed my drive in the automatic.

I'll reply to your private message as well, since I don't know what a WRX is.

1. You didn't say what a deal you got on the car in your original post. I certainly wouldn't have posted the way I did if that was the case.

2. Sorry, but laser cut, zircon encrusted spark plugs aren't going to give you any appreciable HP gains, regardless of what all the advertisements state.

3. If you put on a custom exaust, which would be your best bet, make sure they install an exhaust.

4. Before you go messing with the intake, be aware that putting a cone filter on it without having some way to get cold air to it won't help.

5. Try out some chrome moly muffler bearings and high compression tire valves, you snotty little $hit, and spent a few nights at Neverland Ranch.

Wow, some of the responses you've gotten so far I would expect to get over at some other forums but certainly not here. :rolleyes:

I own two WRXs a 2002 and a 2004, my 2004 is an automatic and can smoke my 5speed. I'm running catless with a helix up and downpipe. And I have a Cobb Accessport running a stage 2 map. Estimated horsepower is around 270-280. There is nothing wrong with buying a car with an auto is that's what you wanted.

The WRX automatic has a far superior AWD system than it's manual counterpart. It just doesn't have the initial pep of a manual. Take a look over at LevelTen.com, they build high stall torque converters for the 4EAT, and also have a valve body upgrade available. Another TC supplier is Protorque.com Those two upgrades alone will totally transform your car, just make sure to install a tranny cooler to keep the temps down.

If I was you I'd go read through some of the forums over at NASIOC.com, there is a ton of useful info there. And a lot of guys running highly modded cars with automatics. You'll just have to sift through the typical, "automatics are for losers" b.s. first.

Good luck, they are a very stout little car. Feel free to ask if you need any thing else. :grin:

Wow, some of the responses you've gotten so far I would expect to get over at some other forums but certainly not here. :rolleyes:

I own two WRXs a 2002 and a 2004, my 2004 is an automatic and can smoke my 5speed. I'm running catless with a helix up and downpipe. And I have a Cobb Accessport running a stage 2 map. Estimated horsepower is around 270-280. There is nothing wrong with buying a car with an auto is that's what you wanted.

The WRX automatic has a far superior AWD system than it's manual counterpart. It just doesn't have the initial pep of a manual. Take a look over at LevelTen.com, they build high stall torque converters for the 4EAT, and also have a valve body upgrade available. Another TC supplier is Protorque.com Those two upgrades alone will totally transform your car, just make sure to install a tranny cooler to keep the temps down.

If I was you I'd go read through some of the forums over at NASIOC.com, there is a ton of useful info there. And a lot of guys running highly modded cars with automatics. You'll just have to sift through the typical, "automatics are for losers" b.s. first.

Good luck, they are a very stout little car. Feel free to ask if you need any thing else. :grin:

thanks alot...I look forward to reading through those forum posts. I have received more "you are loser for buying an automatic" posts and private messages that I would have thought of. thanks again.

Wow. How'd you get such a good deal? Was it in a wreck... salvage title? That's what... 45% depreciation within a couple thousand miles???

Steve

I bought the car on ebay and yes it does have a salvage title. The car was rear-ended. Here is the link. (i paid $300 more to get some things done to the car like fog lights etc.)

email me and I will send the link if you want to see it.

No, that's not necessary, I was just impressed by the price, sounds like a good deal. Any trouble with insurance coverage?

Second to the Nasioc idea, there is so much info there on WRX's it's just silly. And yes you will get people knocking the automatics there too :rolleyes: Everyone has an opinion I guess.

Steve (2 4EAT subies in my driveway)

No, that's not necessary, I was just impressed by the price, sounds like a good deal. Any trouble with insurance coverage?

Second to the Nasioc idea, there is so much info there on WRX's it's just silly. And yes you will get people knocking the automatics there too :rolleyes: Everyone has an opinion I guess.

Steve (2 4EAT subies in my driveway)

I live in Utah right now, but I am from Idaho, and I bought the car in Oregon. To license the car for two years I just sent in a check for $963. That included tax, registration, plates, and two year tags. The insurance is $94 more than my 2000 OBW for six months. So I guess 94 bucks is worth it. The WRX only gets around 22-25 mpg's though. I think it is pretty funny all the crap I get for getting an automatic, and I suppose I always will.

Weird, is that a factory moonroof? I didn't think it was available on cars unless you went with the "Premium" package. (leather, heated mirrors, etc) I see it has some STi bumper parts on it too. I wish the STi came in red so I could get parts for mine without having them repainted.

Certainly looks like they did a decent job putting it back together again. :)

Well, my car is manual, but mainly because it was the only thing available. Car prices here are insane and automatics are way more expensive. Not many on the used car market - where I can afford to shop.

It's funny how the manual transmission is the last bastion of "manhood". We accpect that fuel mixture, ignition timing, braking, radio tuning, and so on are computer controlled, but not the gears.