Ultimate Subaru Message Board

They can be tricky sometimes. If you're doing it by hand, you sorta have to twist and pull at the same time. Most auto supply places sell spark plug boot pullers. They look like pliers with the ends specially made for gripping the spark plug wire. You could try those too.

Let us know how you make out.

Ed

Most auto supply places sell spark plug boot pullers. They look like pliers with the ends specially made for gripping the spark plug wire. You could try those too.

Yeah i advice you use them cose other wise u will broke wires and need new one

Of course if you just don't wanna change them ;)

I've never had the need for the pullers. Just make sure you're grabbing the boot and not the wire itself, and pull and twist at the same time. Pull hard - they'll come off with a pop. Similarly, when putting the new ones on, push hard while grasping the boot and make sure it "pops" on.

Yeah i advice you use them cose other wise u will broke wires and need new one

Of course if you just don't wanna change them ;)

I've never had the need for the pullers. Just make sure you're grabbing the boot and not the wire itself, and pull and twist at the same time. Pull hard - they'll come off with a pop. Similarly, when putting the new ones on, push hard while grasping the boot and make sure it "pops" on.

Agreed. Grab the boot as close as you can get and give it a wiggle and a twist/pull and "pop" it's out. The money you save on those pliers can be better spent on one of those pine smelling things to hang from the mirror.

Good luck Sparky.

Hey everyone,

99 legacy 2.5 GT

How do i remove the plug wires from the plugs? Do I just pull them off or are they clipped somehow? Having a lot of difficulty getting them of there. Thanks all.

Did you remove the air filter housing/ MAF sensor on the passenger-side of the engine and remove the windshield washer container on the driver's side of the engine so you can get your hands in there to grasp the plug wire boots ? (There is no room between the engine and the strut towers to get a plug wire puller tool in there---you need to use the best tools you've got---your hands. The driver's side of the engine is especially clumsy to R&R plug wires on--the original plug wires have boots with molded-in depressions that your fingers will fit over to help pull the boot off of the plug----but you've got to remove the stuff I mentioned above to get your hands in there to begin with..........)

and put some Dilectric grease inside the boot, just a light coat, so that you can remove them easier the next time...bd

Did you remove the air filter housing/ MAF sensor on the passenger-side of the engine and remove the windshield washer container on the driver's side of the engine so you can get your hands in there to grasp the plug wire boots ?

• 4 months later...