Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shouldn't be any more difficult than putting in a 2.5 I believe. But hey, while you're looking, you should consider a 2.2 turbo if you can find one. more powerful than the 2.5 plus more reliable.

how hard would it to be to stick a 2.2 in my 99 outback? i'd have free reign of a complete 2.2, harness and ecm out of a 95 impreza..

anyone ever done this? what else would i need to do it?

There was a guy who did said swap not too long ago and posted all his stuff here, I believe. I test drove a 2.5, and I didn't see anything that "wowed" me about it more than the 2.2 as far as power, and the 2.2 has such a damn good reputation...

• 6 years later...

I've been reading up on the 2.2 2.5 swap... i have a 2000 outback with blown hg... and a '93 legacy wagon that could use a new body... and from what everyone is saying this is a pretty easy swap....or would the 93 be that much different?

WAY different.

The wireing and EGR come immediately to mind.

But congratulations on using the search.

And welcome to the USMB - lots of good info and folks here.

The site will be upgrading soon so if you come here and it's dead that's why.

Search here recently about EGR - someone is thinking of fighting that battle again - and I don't think it's ever been done successfully.

Then look at the wiring connectors at the eng/trans. On the old car there will be 3 plugsm, on the new car 2 plugs. I believe speed sensors are different also.

Do LOTS of research before starting this. It'll bolt up, but never plug in, and have a constant CEL due to EGR if you ever do get it running.

It'll bolt up, but never plug in, and have a constant CEL due to EGR if you ever do get it running.
and the MAF verses MAP change means it won't idle properly.

how about repair the headgasket in the 2000? they're easy enough to do. if you can swap a motor you can replace a headgasket.

:horse:

i started this thread in 2005.. lol i see it was ressurected..

at least he tried to search even though it was different swap.

the 2.2 droped right in,
yeah, the swap you did is done all the time and extremely common and simple. the one the grave digger posted about is not the same. Edited by grossgary