Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear jump seats for brat/brumby

Whats the story with the jump seats in the back of the brat/brumby can someone explain the purpose of these seats to me please :-\

The way I heard it was:

At the time of the importation of the Brat into the US there was a tariff on trucks, but not on small cars. So, the Subaru folks put the seats and belts in the back so it could haul passengers, making it NOT a truck, so they didn't have to pay import duties.

IN Oregon, I believe the law is you must have all the seats with belts available filled first, then you can pile in the back, but since there is belts with the jump seats no problem. My friend and I are going to install some into his brat...some one cut them out along the line...so we went to the junkyard with a small generator and a cut off grinder...got the whole setup for $50.!!! :headbang:

[HTi]Johnson

Oh yeah, if you look in the back of your Brumby...you'll either see spots by the cab, on each side, that have threaded holes or just raised squares in the bed, that's where the belt buckles are fastened. I'll try to get you pics.