Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Driving impressions RX vs. Legacy SS

This is a question for those who have owned/driven both. I’m about to buy a ’91 SS and wondering how it will compare to my ’87 RX. I’m expecting a bit more power from the SS, but will the handling be as tight? I’m mean the RX is no race car but for a production car it's pretty good, I fear the Legacy may be designed for a softer ride, I don’t want to be disappointed. I wont have money to upgrade the SS suspension right away so how do they compare stock vs. stock?

Gary

Stock vs. stock? There is not much comparison. The SS will smoke it power wise. Ride wise it is a tad softer. (But should still hold a corner just fine) Unless the struts have been replaced. Then it may compare favorably. The nice thing about the SS is that there are actually aftermarket parts for it. And the 2.2T is very dependable. And no where as finicky as the EA82T.

I sold my SS to buy my RX. I love my RX 1000x more than i ever did my SS. My SS wasnt without problems, but the RX is alot lighter and more agile. I do not get as much understeer as I did in the SS but of course, my RX has better tires and alot less body wieght.

The SS would smoke the RX anyday of the week however, the EA82T is nothing compared to a turbocharged EJ22.

If you have a family to tote around, get a SS.

If you want to have some fun in a 20yr old car... get a RX

-Brian