Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The tiresome tire debte

Ive been reading over the archived posts about tires. Lots of great info but its almost all geared twoard 14" rims.

I am almost done installing a 3" BYB/Ozified lift in my 1988 GL wagon. The rims I have are 15" steel pugeots. I'll be needing some tires to put on the rims here very soon. What metric sizes fit??? Right now all I can confirm that fit are:

215/75 R15

225/70 R15

225/75 R15

Right now I have a set of old crappy 30" x 10.5" x 15 " mud terrains. I bought them about a year or so ago for $20 (for all 4 on rims, it was a steal) They are technicly 29" by 9.5" but every time I look at them.. and then the wagon... I see why everyone told me all those years back "they wont fit!" It looks very close but honestly I just dont think I can make them fit right now. Only real way to tell would be to mount one on a pug and try to make it fit but what a waste of time and money to get one dismounted, mounted and fiddle with for a few hours.

Please insert all "I TOLD YOU SO!"s at the bottom of your reply, they are well deserving :boohoo: but I will say this, and I've always stood by it : you can do anything with enough time and money :D Too bad I have little of both hahaha... anyway back on topic morgan!

Right now I'm leaning twoard these selections:

Liberator A/T from Wal-Mart

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1819311&cat=0&type=28&dept=91083&path=0%3A91083&vehicle_path=false&tire_width=225&tire_ratio=70&tire_diameter=14

Kumho Road Venture AT 825 from TireRack.com

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Venture+AT+825&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=175SR5AT825C&fromCompare1=yes

Pirelli Scorpion A/T from TireRack.com

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+A%2FT&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=175SR5SCORATOWL&fromCompare1=yes

Anything I can find at the junkyard that fits! Problem is I need a full set of 4. There also isnt much too choose from... kinda get what they got and thats about it :(

I dont have alot of money here to spend so price is a key factor. I also dont want some wussy all season tread. Just need something thats cheap and will dig in good. Please post all suggestions in metric format. Its very hard looking up tires by size in inches becuase almost nobody measures them like that.

Thanks.

in about 2 months to 3 months i'll have a set of 5 ssr's on 14" steel rims for sale. they'll only have about 3000 miles on them. i paid 700 for the tires with an awesome warranty plan and 135 for the rims. these tires are so new they aren't even mounted on my car yet. i'll probably be asking around $550 for them rims and all. that's a steel! the reason i'm selling them is cause my car is going up another 8 inches and i need 33" tires.

The next ? is what are you using your car for? wheeling or street, cause if you are planning on wheeling i would strongly suggest mud terrains and not all terrains.

It's simply a toy. This wont be a dialy driver at all but I dont want to have to use a trialer to get anywhere with it. She needs to be highway worthy. Noise of the tires does not bother me. Handeling isnt a big deal either since I wont be going fast in it. I'm not very extreem so really it will just be a trail rig. Mud terrain would be nice but that negates my key factor... price.

all right here's 2 to check on. price i'm not sure but i believe around 70 to 90

cooper discoverer sst

215/75R15

235/75R15

and the tires i have now are Highliner 7.00X14. i know these are 14's but highliner does make them in different sizes, check around for these it might be hard to find, i got mine at les schwabb for about 70 a piece very agressive but load on the street. and you only need to run 23 to 25 psi on the street do to the fact each tire is 6 ply bias and holds a lot of weight.

I could honestly make those 30"s fit??? I saw one post http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=382 where someone claimed they used 30"s. Only other time Ive seen 30"s or more was on the Monster Subaru and some BRATS.

If I could fit them I'd be in hog heaven :brow: but I didnt think it would be even be worth my time. I have a friend coming over again tonight... maybe we'll jack up the front really high and see what they look like in there. I have NO issues with sawzall and pouding the crap out of my Subaru but it would be pretty sad to go through all that and they dont fit LOL

Thx U :)

you'll have to cut a lot out of the fender and beat the firewall part of the fender pretty good, especially the seam that runs through the center. I would think you'd have to have the right offset to keep the inside of the tire close to the strut without rubbing, my 215/75/15 tires needed beating of the firewall, but my toyota rims stuck half the tire outside of the fender, so thats probably why. If you've got access to some tire irons it really isn't too much work to mount or dismount tires yourself. I use a vice to pop them off of the bead first.

We jacked up the front left high enough to fit the castle nut through the center of the rim with the 30" mounted on it. It's close enough to make me get one mounted on a pug rim and see what I can do to make it fit.

I'll get one mounted by this SAT night for when some guys are coming over to help out. SHould also be getting the 4WD in with the blocks that night. Next on the list is 4WD dual range.

bushbasher : I belive you are correct on the strut clearance. However the pug rims have some negative offset which sucks that tire right snug to the spring cup on the strut. Again so close I'll just have to see with one mounted on a pug.

ShawnW : Now thats what I'm talking about! :D I think the tires I have are VERY similar... they are "Radial Baja - Widetrack" . I cant quite read the letters on those but I see Baja :brow: