Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91' Loyale No Power when I turn the Ignition????????

My ride was running find and dandy. Went into the gas station to grab some doughnuts and my car would not start. I have power in the battery just none to the engine. Can't bump start or jump start. All fuses in inside pannel are good. Also the green red and black wire fuses in the engine compartment are also good. Hazard lights work, Interior light work, and chime works. Just when I turn the ignition..... Nothing no click in the starter solinoid area not even power to my cluster, radio, or any of that stuff that turns on when you turn the key. What am I missing? some fuse or wire, Bad Iginition???? AHHH

Please help.

Thanks

Mike

Mine does that once in a while and I think it's the starter solenoid, but haven't had a chance to tear into it. Usually, if I just keep trying it will start. Sometimes it seems to help to hold the key in the start position for a few seconds. My oldest daughter swears that opening and closing the hood works for her everytime. Probably does cuz' when the hood drops it jars the solenoid just enough to make contact. Hoping to look at it this weekend.

Also, there was another thread on here somewhere with a very similar problem and I think all the experienced soobie wizards were pointing in the same direction.

I would check the fusible links in the box that is mounted on the coolant resevoir. My guess is that there is one that has a bad connection or it may be blown. If that is ok then the problem may be the ignition switch or a connection to it.

I did check the fusable links red green red black and they all were intact. no separation in any of them. I guess I will cruise out there with a meter and poke around. just blows that my ride is and hr and a half away. thanks

Be sure to check the link connections also that slip into the slots. The samething happened to me once and the connection was bad, the link was good. Make sure voltage is getting to all of them.

The ignition switch is next in line if things are ok with the links. Another thing to look at is the neutral safety switch if you have an automatic. You can try starting it in neutral if that is a problem.

You should also clean the battery terminals, especially the smaller positive wire, and look for signs of internal corrosion of the wire.

check the continuity of the battery cable that leads to the starter. i have seen cables that look good baut have a break inside the sheath of the cable. if that cable were to be bad, you still would have power to the fuse links, but not to the starter itself

check the fuse for the ign and charge circuit

also check the wires at the back of hte alternator to see if they energize and to see if there is continuity from the pwer lead to the battery

with the key on, these fuses should have power on both sides.

i fried something in my car installing a radio, and the ecu had no power, because i accidentally grounded out the green wire to the radio(hot at all times) i was a moment away from tearing out the dash until i jumped a wire from the battery to the green wire, and behold i had power to the ecu and the car runs now. this is temporary till i sort thru the wiring harness.

check for 12 volts at the green wire. if its not present you can try what i did, at your own risk

If your not getting the CEL or cluster lights its either the ign switch (check the back to see if it fell apart) or the fusable link. Mine did this off and on for the longest time till I actually pulled the fusable links out, and when I got to the black, it broke in two....

I have a similiar problem. When I turn the key, all the lights stay on, evrything normal except that all I hear is a buzzing sound, which I believe comes from the fuel pump. When I check the output voltage with the battery detached an the engine running, it gives me a strong ~14 volts. Anyway, it will continue to buzz as long as the key is turned, yet the check engine light will flicker randomly. The CEL does not come on otherwise however. Usually the car will start eventually. Switching out the ignition coil back to the stock one has helped before, as well as getting a jump, but I have a feeling it might not be either.

Phaedras,

You need to see if voltage is getting to the solenoid on the small wire tied to it. This wire is suppossed to turn on the solenoid. If you have an automatic try starting it in the neutral position. If that works, then you need to check the neutral safety switch.

YO YO

Thanks for all the help!!!! I hitched a ride back to eagle where my car was acting UP armed with a new ignition swith and my probe. Turns out my ignition harness fell out of its link. Simple as that!! 2 min fix.

Thanks for helping a new guy out.

Cheers

Mike