Ultimate Subaru Message Board

akkk..dropped wrench into tranny through timing light hole

I was tightening my clutch cable and the 10mm wrench slipped out of my hand in fell into the timing light hole.

I started the car and engaged the tranny and it's not rubbing.

But how do I get it out? it had to be the 10mm wrench :banghead:

I was tightening my clutch cable and the 10mm wrench slipped out of my hand in fell into the timing light hole.

I started the car and engaged the tranny and it's not rubbing.

But how do I get it out? it had to be the 10mm wrench :banghead:

if it would have been rubbing, you would have known as soon as you started it, since the flywheel is always turning...

on the bottom of the bellhousing, there is a small plate held on with 2 10mm bolts. it covers the bottom of the flywheel.

it'll be tight, but you might be able to get at those bolts to get that plate off, and see if it comes out through the hole... I usually run w/o the plate for a variety of reasons, and no issues....

might have the jack up the tranny a bit to get at 'em....

PS. if you send me your addy, I can send you a rubber cover.....

Those rubber covers are overrated IMO. They have been known to heat up, shrink and fall into the bell housing. They arent really protecting anything either. I think the tool of choice here is a grabber tool if Miles Fox's idea doesnt work. Id remove that plate he refers to and leave it off, it too does no real good.

McBrat

on the bottom of the bellhousing, there is a small plate held on with 2 10mm bolts. it covers the bottom of the flywheel.

anybody else see the irony???:drunk:

a magnet would be my first tool to use...

Yea the easyest ways to those two bolts on the bottom are with the wrench you dropped. However all good Soobie Mechanics usually have a spare. Great ones have two spares! Just to ask, Are you sure it didn't just fall behind the carb. That is one heck of a whole-shot but then again there is that theory "anything that can go wrong will". Good luck.

the telescoping magnet trick won't work. I tried using one of themto get something out of the bottom of a door. kept getting stick on the rails, and collapsing.

possibly a flexible rod magnet would work. but I'd still try the bolts... :)

There's also a certain bit of irony to the statement someone made that "the rubber covers really don't do much".

I agree with that one! If the rubber cover was there, this thread wouldn't be here (must go find myself a rubber cover for my car - sounds like something that would happen to me! Ack!)

Those rubber covers are overrated IMO. They have been known to heat up, shrink and fall into the bell housing. They aren't really protecting anything either.

I gotta argue with ya Shawn. The difference after going thru a deep mudhole with and without that little cover is bigtime! As in, the end of the throw out bearing or not. I've never seen one shrink and fall in. (not that that means that it never happened before)

For a street mobile, don't worry. For an offorader, don't leave home without it.

Hi, I'm new here on the message board. But did this same thing a couple of years ago on my '92 Loyale wagon. Except what I dropped in was a steel rod I was using to hold the flywheel in place when tightening the crankshaft pulley. I tried the magnet on a string. I tried the telescoping magnet. I tried the grabber thingy. Then I saw the access plate in a diagram in my repair manual. I took the plate off and the rod fell right out. I did loosen the engine mounts and lift up the transmission off the crossmember first, though.

I hope you have success with your wrench!

Matthew Steel