Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Officially OFFICIAL......:)

mudrat79

Mudrat Design and Fab has again made the Improbable Possible...... :brow::D:brow:

After Tearing the Hi-Lo 5 speed tranny apart several times,

We Now Have a 5 speed Hi Range - LOW Range 98 Forester with LSD in the Front as well as an LSD in the Rear ....

I took it out and Made sure things were working proper in both Diff 's..... :brow:

Forester Didn't Torque steer like I figured It would, But if you dump the Clutch it will Lock up both tires and Side step a bit.....in 2WD mode.....:eek:

I took it to my favorite test hill , a 60-70% incline off an overpass....In LOW RANGE....it walked right to the top with no effort.......ForesterRanger, the owner of this Car figured out that in low range it has a 22:1 crawl ratio with the 27 " Coopers ....Not Too shabby

Who's Ready to do it to an Outback.....???....:slobber:

I'll be listing the Tranny Conversion over in the Market place as a kit with the adapter Plate.....And for all you out there Wanting an LSD in the front Diff on your 4 speed or 5 speed Hi-Lo in stock Ea-81 or EA-82 Applications, I can do that too......:)

Talk soon, John

yeah I know what a "Mudrat test" involves (especially when he uses that :brow:) thing...

So John, when I get outta WyoTech and can build NHRA/NASCAR certified chassis, wanna go into business together :D Cuz I'm thinkin about doing basically what you do, custom fab stuff.. But I'd prolly do it up in the Albany area (hippies scare me) Of course I'll be doin like, muscle car restorations and crap on the side, won't be all subies :D Thinkin about buildin rally cars.....

here's a picture of the ea82 interior center piece I trimmed to fit in my 98 Forester center console. I'm happy with how everthing turned out. Mudrat did a great job on the dual-range conversion. I did take it out wheeling a few days ago and almost got it stuck in the mud. But was able to work it out. Next I need to get Mudrat bumpers and more Lift.

dual_range_007.jpg

So Mudrat, I know I asked this before, but I forgot and want to know again. can I use my ea81 center console where the e-brake is? i know I'll probably have to run an ea82 console where the shift boot and the 4wd selector is, but was wondering on the other part. thanks.

Wow that came out better than I expected Shane....

Looks BAD A**.....

where did you wheel it.....?? same place as before....??

John

Yeah up on S Rock again. I need to take you up there. Nice area right in Springfield to test vehicles at. I think I broke my factory brush gaurd up there. I noticed a couple days later it was loose. It is broken off the 2 bottom bolts. the top 2 screws are the only thing holding it on.

Jibs.....You will do some Shift linkage Mods, but you can keep all interior Center plastic looking stock.....:)

you will need 5 speed Push button and hi-Lo linkage to Canabalize, and then for the 4x4 selector, you will have to cut and Sleeve....How big a Lift do you have again....??

Shane....Been to that play area many many times......It's tame for me now...:)

Later, John

Jibs.....You will do some Shift linkage Mods, but you can keep all interior Center plastic looking stock.....:)

you will need 5 speed Push button and hi-Lo linkage to Canabalize, and then for the 4x4 selector, you will have to cut and Sleeve....How big a Lift do you have again....??

Later, John

A 4" ByB Kit. I'm not too worried about the 4wd and the shifter boot or anything, Just the e-brake console. Is there a way to mate the front of an ea82 console to the rear ea81 console? i'm gonna hit up a junkyard tomorrow to look at a couple.

Sorry to hijack this post John, but can you make me a list of what I needed at the yard again? I take the pushbutton shifter and put it on the d/r or the other way around? Sorry, I meant to write it down when we talked, but couldn't find a pen in time. I'd appreciate it.

• 4 weeks later...

hey john

congratulations for the successful operation.

i guess it's the forester with the phantomgrip.

i already ordered the phantomgrip for my forester's front.

tommorow morning (today for you, i guess) i'll be in subaru's shop, asking them about those parts in the list you sent me.

by the way, the forester's long central exaust pipe has a bend to the "wrong" direction, downwards, which reduces the gap to the ground.

do you know why and is it worthy and possible to change it?

we'll be in tuch

pini

• 1 month later...