Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've got a 95 Legacy and I read frequently about various problems that some newer 2.5 Subarus have. Is the 2.5 a totally different beast in design when compared to the 2.2? I'm a new Subaru owner (less than a year), and I just assumed at first that the 2.5 was just a bored out 2.2 with a bigger stroke crank. Guess not.

My question is: why screw around with an engine design if you already have a solid one in place? You'd think after making engines and cars for 100 years that car lots would be filled with nothing but flawlessly designed and built cars. But, it seems like car companies have to reinvent their cars "from the ground up" every 5-10 years. I know...blah, blah, progress and innovation, blah, blah...

It would make more sence to have the 2.2 and then use the 3.3l from the SVX instead of making the 2.5l. Both the 2.2 and 3.3 are decent engines when it comes to reliability. I guess the minor power upgrade in the 2.5l is why they replaced 2.2l with it. A bigger gas efficiant 4 cyl is what they were thinking.

Well, people like Ralph Nader provoke the irrational and emotional sides of the general public and this forces upon us more new legislation. Therefore, cars HAVE to be re-designed all the time. What worked fine five years ago is now illegal...

Because the EJ22 is so bad...and all the coolent seeps onto the ground from the EJ25 is so wonderful...oh wait...

Well...the EJ22 can dump a lot of oil sometimes...but all Sube engines can ;)

Well, people like Ralph Nader provoke the irrational and emotional sides of the general public and this forces upon us more new legislation. Therefore, cars HAVE to be re-designed all the time. What worked fine five years ago is now illegal...

Not neccessarily true. The general buying public drives this more than bureacrats. The public looks for new and innovative things constantly. The Nader's of the world show deficencies(real or make believe) and push to have them repaired, redesigned or removed.

The drive for more powerful cars that maintain some sort of fuel efficiency drove many changes in the '80's, 90's and to date. Take the WRX, STi, Evo, Cadillac, Hemi Dodges(500hp truck!) are all the effect of people wanting power back into their vehicles.(though fuel efficiency may be questioned) Some manufacturers listen and some don't. But if you look around most of the top models in every line have a 300hp vehicle to offer. And most have all-wheel drive features to boot.

My question is: why screw around with an engine design if you already have a solid one in place? You'd think after making engines and cars for 100 years that car lots would be filled with nothing but flawlessly designed and built cars. But, it seems like car companies have to reinvent their cars "from the ground up" every 5-10 years. I know...blah, blah, progress and innovation, blah, blah...

I've been saying this for years. It seems like everything gets a tires up change every 5 years though. Ford made the 351, chevy made the 350. Both were stout engines with their pros and cons. The cons have been all but eliminated through technology, but they both had a good 30 year run. The 350 (different design) still exists today, but the 351 is not in any new Fords. For imports I don't know a whole lot but toyota had the 22R (and 22RE) motor that ran just about forever. My father had one that made it to 180k before the timing chain started making serious noise. With only spark plugs (thanks to me) and a rebuilt starter (a free rebuild I did myself) it was a great truck. It started using oil around 250k and my brother put some kind of rebuilt engine in it. He eventually sold it. I think he was near 300k and it still had the same trans, rear end, etc. The only things that were changed were brakes, shocks, tires and batteries.