Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all, Im new to the board and looking for some advice on Subarus.

I used to be a Jeep man through and through but the price of gass is pushing me away. Im looking for a replacement for a Jeep Grand Cherokee and think that a Forester or Outback might be the perfect match.

My mother drives a 97 or 98 Legacy sedan, which I have never really liked much. Im 6'2" and 230 pounds and feel cramped behind the wheel, long trips are not much fun. I hope that the wagons have a little more room.

( I drove a 01 Forester the other day and liked it alot, but still felt a little tight behind the wheel.)

I live in Maine and deal with the snow on a regular basis in the winter. I dont like weather to stop me from going anywhere. (I love the Subaru for its capabilities in the snow). I do alot of dirt road driving and a little off roading, nothing serious though.

Im looking to pay in the 8 thousand range and Im not interested in anything older than 95.

Can anyone sum this up and make a sugestion for me, especialy in the comfort beheind the wheel for us big folks department.

I started driving a 95 Legacy wagon this past year and love it. The more versed folks here can give you exact dates, but look for a wagon with the 2.2 engine and you'll be set for many miles down the road.

I wouldn't think there's much difference in seating comfort between a sedan Legacy and a wagon Legacy, but at 6'3" and 200lbs, I'm quite comfortable in my Sube wagon. My car is an LSi with the leather interior, so I don't know if they sat any different or not from the regular seats. We pack two kids and a big family dog in the wagon quite comfortably. You'll like the wagon--Subaru wouldn't be Subaru without the wagons.

Research the years to avoid the 2.5 engine for possible head gasket problems. The 2.2 is a bulletproff and gutsy enough little engine. Mine has over 160,000 miles on it and runs very well. Gas mileage isn't great in the AWD Subarus for what you might want from a 4 banger. (Figure 24-26 mpg.) They handle great in snow--we drove through that Christmas blizzard that left hoards of cars abandoned on the side of the road this winter. With the cash you have to spend, I'd personally look for a 95 up to whatever year they still had the 2.2 and get one with really low miles that has been garage kept. It'll cost a bit more, but will be worth it. My 95 Subaru replaced a 99 car of a different make with much lower miles and the fit and finish and quality of the Subaru was rather impressive when I made the switch. The ground clearance spooks me, but I have taken my wagon off road some.

Unless you want more headroom, I don't think the Forester is that much bigger on the inside, and, IMHO, the Legacy wagons are just cooler. Even though the Legacy isn't a big car, it sits like about anything else I drive--even the full size cars leave me wishing for "one more click back" when I adjust the seats...

I know what you mean about the one more click back in the seat. It seems like car manufacturers would do something to help us tall folks out a little.

Im a little partial to the forester because of the ground clearance, being a Jeep man for a long time it is hard to give up. But it sounds as if the 2.5 is just bad news. I like a dependable motor (jeeps 4.0 is as good as they come) as Im sure that Subarus 2.2 is.

Thanks for the info, I'll think about a Lagacy wagon -maybe an Outback Wagon is the way to go for me.

Does anyone have a Forester or an outback that can give me some advice, seating comfort? Convince me that a 2.5 isnt as bad as it sounds.

I think you are better off with the Forester considering your height. I think you will be a lot more comfortable in that than in an Outback. If you can afford it, I would get a '03 or newer. Go for a test drive in one and see what you think of it. The newer the model the less likely there will be a HG problem.

Wait until mid May for the Tribeca. I saw it at a car show and looks to be a good driver with a lot more room than the Forester. Check it out. Some people dont like to front end, but if subaru isnt going to be different who is? ie.. Brat, 360, STI yada yada yada.