Ultimate Subaru Message Board

windshield

My girlfriend's son has been bugging me to find him a cheap car. I saw an '83 GL-10 sedan today on Craigslist today so I went and looked at it. Long story short, I drove it home.

Cutting to the quick here, it need a windshield. What's the cheapest most resonable way to get a replacement?

Unfortunately. all my EA81 parts cars have cracked windshields. If a junkyard is the way, how does one go about getting one out without breaking it?

Any other options? I'd hate for the kid to have to pay more for the windshield than what I picked up the car for.

My girlfriend's son has been bugging me to find him a cheap car. I saw an '83 GL-10 sedan today on Craigslist today so I went and looked at it. Long story short, I drove it home.

Cutting to the quick here, it need a windshield. What's the cheapest most resonable way to get a replacement?

Unfortunately. all my EA81 parts cars have cracked windshields. If a junkyard is the way, how does one go about getting one out without breaking it?

Any other options? I'd hate for the kid to have to pay more for the windshield than what I picked up the car for.

Private message me, I do glass.......

I was also wondering this, not only is has the windshield on my subie been cracked pretty bad for quite a while, but the seal around the outside pulled away as well.

Any of you get a bit of water dripping on your toes when it rains real good?

hmm, wonder if they are related, seems like water dripping in happened before the windshield started losing it's outer seal.

Also, to avoid cracking windshield, be careful when loading ten foot 2" steel pipe in your wagon. :banghead:

lebnjay

Any of you get a bit of water dripping on your toes when it rains real good?
Yes, but only when its parked up a slope. So, now i reverse my car up the driveway. Problem kind of solved, though i still get water in the engine bay...:-\

Yes, but only when its parked up a slope. So, now i reverse my car up the driveway. Problem kind of solved, though i still get water in the engine bay...:-\

I replaced my windshield myself, it cost $82 for a PPG one. It was cracked, and all rusted around the frame and leaking (ventilated sheet metal), so I fixed that when I put the new windshield in.

Imagine my dismay when the first heavy rains came it was leaking again. :-\ Turns out it was water leaking in through the wiper arm hole when I parked up my driveway.. The drain hole right by the wiper arm hole had a itty bitty leaf neatly laid over the hole. I also park backwards now just in case that hole gets plugged up again!

Private message me, I do glass.......

I PM'd Travis but never heard back . . .

I searched and read all the stuff about the different chemicals and glue and stuff, but don't EA81's windsheilds just pop in with the rubber gasket around them? I know it's not easy, but I've seen it done with them pulling the nylon rope around the outside. I'm pretty sure it's not something that would be easy for me to do by myself.

Like I said, I'd hate for the kid to have to pay more for a windshield than what I paid for the car. I appreciate any help I can get guys (and gals). I'll be out of town and away from a computer until this weekend, so I won't be able to check in until then.

I'll echo northguy on that. SpeedyGlass in Bothell charged me $150 installed with tax included for a windshield on an '87 Turbo wagon a few years back. Hit the yellow pages and call a few shops and get a quote; it's a very competitive business and you can't go wrong with shopping around.