Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brumby (brat)

hey everybody im new to this site and im from new zealand i currently own an ea82t leone sedan but am currently looking for a brumby ute for sale over here. i was wounderin how much much difficulty it is converting a brumby ea82 to the ea82t engine out of my sedan and what do i need to do about doin this any help on this would be great but the ea82t engine has cracked heads and i can seam to get my hands on any. if i was to do this what would a good turbo to upgrade with of keep the standard one? and what sort of boost is safe to run wif ?and what about intercooling is this benificial. any help would be great or any knowledge of utes for sale in new zealand would be great anyone wif info can email me at pathutt@hotmail.com subject brumby ute cheers. patt

A brumby is an EA81, so the conversion will be fairly involved. Unless you get your hands on one that has already been converted for EA82/82T.

There are people that have put EA82/T into Brumby/Brat so it's definately possible. Cost/Effort of doing so would not be that much less than that of an ej20/ej20t conversion if you are doing the work yourself.

I wouldn't run over 10/12 PSI boost, and even then ONLY if you have an intercooler, otherwise the stardard ( 7 i think ) is about the best you'll get. I've heard of people going 15PSI+ with copper head gaskets.

A brumby is an EA81, so the conversion will be fairly involved. Unless you get your hands on one that has already been converted for EA82/82T.

I thought there where heaps of ea81's with ea82 5 spd gear boxes, so why could not you mate an ea82t up to ea81 tranny? Something to do with the flywheel?

Yeh intercoolers are very beneficial, as when a turbo compress air the heat rises proporal to the pressure. So if you want to increase boost a intercooler is wise for both performance and long livity of your engine.

I thought there where heaps of ea81's with ea82 5 spd gear boxes, so why could not you mate an ea82t up to ea81 tranny? Something to do with the flywheel?

I'm sure you could, the difficulty arises with the difference in size, the ea82 is slightly wider, and depending on whether the brumby is lifted or not could require chopping up the chassis rails. Also the ea82 wiring loom would need to be used along with any EFI gear if it's not carbed.

Pretty much all the things you'd need to do to fit an EJ series engine. So the only real extra cost for the EJ series conversion is the extra price of the equipment.

IMHO an EJ20/EJ22 NA would be a better choice than an EA82t. More than enough to power a brumby/brat along.