Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 impreza L AWD....what engines can go in this....there was a 2.2 in it

toddyp_2004

• 2 weeks later...

To the best of my knowledge the 2.2L Turbo motor is the most reliable. THe 2.2L N/A is a completely different block being opendeck and all. Any Subaru EJ series engine will fit but wiring is a bummer. I am right now installing a 1993 Legacy turbo .2.L Turbo motor into my 95 Impreza. But why do you want to swap. The 2.2 is torquey!!! I gues not as 2.5 is but with the Hydra EMS or the Perfect Power and some exhaust... You'd be set.

THe 2.2L N/A is a completely different block being opendeck and all.

No

the 2.2L engine up to/through 95 is one animal (non-interference head), the one after that is different (interference head) - if you don't believe me look here http://www.finleyweb.net/default.asp?id=142 - the only difference between turbo and N/A are the pistons used - EJ blocks are all very similar - they just have different sized holes in them for the cylinders for different displacements!! - the heads are where the real differences lie - you are upgrading your impreza by turboing it and getting more power, but you are also getting a non-interference design, so if you break a timing belt, you just put another in it - that is probably where you are increasing your reliability the most

The 2.5L engine is the one which changed in the said way - big difference

that said, if you want more power, you can probably fit any EJ series engine under your hood - most have very similar/same external physical dimensions

You proved yourself wrong with your own post. If you go to that link and go to page 175, you will see that the block for the legacy Turbo is different- different part number. This block was only available in the legacy turbo or in the Liberty turbo in Austrailia. It is closed deck and has stronger internals than the N/A 2.2L. I have done much research on this because of doing a swap. The 2.2 Turbo has piston oil squirters whereas the N/A version does not. There is alot of difference between the inside of these motors. Yes the 2.5 is a whole different animal.

hell you CAN fit a SVX motor in it if you want to, you just have to move the radiator to the trunk is all. or you COULD throw in a XT-6 motor, with an adapter to mate your tranny to the XT-6 motor, lots of things you could do, just depends on how nuts you really are, how much money you really want to spend, and how much your wife will put up with...lol

~Josh~