Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Locker Solution!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Roundeye

Roundeye

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:35 PM

Lookie what I found in a RV magazine ad. http://www.remcotowi...om/axle_dtl.asp

I don't see one for a Subaru, but enough people request it, it could happen. This would be the perfect solution for running a "Lincoln" locker.

I plan to e-mail them about making one.

#2 Roundeye

Roundeye

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:53 PM

I just sent them this e-mail:

Have you looked into making one for Subaru vehicles? Specifically 80's to early 90's models. These cars are lightweight, long-lasting and inexpensive to obtain making them excellent to tow around. More importantly, alot of these cars are 4WD. There is an increasing number of people who modify and off-road them. Very few after-market suppiers make products for these vehicles. One of the most effective modifications to these is welding the spider gears in the rearend (a "Lincoln Locker") . This modification is permanent and can have serious driveability and reliability issues when driven repeatedly on the street. An axle disconnect like you sell for similar vehicles could be used to "free up" the rearend of a modified Subaru on the street, then locked in for off-road. Myself as well as an increasing number of Subaru enthusiasts would be VERY interested in such a product.

Please give this some consideration. It would greatly and safely enhance the off-road capability of 4WD Subarus as well as making both 2WD and 4WD models able to be towed behind motorhomes.

Thank You,

I'll let you know the response.

#3 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:54 PM

Looks cool but price is going to be everything when it comes to purchasing these babies!

I'd bet they become price prohibitive to the average Cheap-Skate Subaru Owner. If it was more than $100.00, I'd continue to swap axles in and out.

#4 Subaru_dude

Subaru_dude

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,472 posts
  • Morristown, TN

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:12 PM

I had an idea like that once..... I thought about somehow creating an axle that could be very easily disconnected from the diff without having to worry about taking everything apart. Maybe an axle that had a clip in the middle of it and could be removed..... DAMN it.. if only I would have patented it, I could be one rich son of a b!tch by now... lol.

If such a product becomes available for Subarus, it's mine. :grin:

#5 4x4mudrat

4x4mudrat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Tumut, Australia

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:52 PM

Haultech Traction Control

You might need to register with OuterLimits4x4 first to view the thread. Better than front and rear ARBs, easier on your driveline and cheaper. Just not on the market yet...

#6 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,379 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:44 PM

really all that would need to be done is to find an axle that is the same diameter as our early soobs and cross application is possible.research ,research , research....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users