Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 93 Impreza FWD, 5 spd manual. (With the 1.8L obviously). I also have a 96 Impreza LX AWD, automatic. I am wondering if I can possibly swap the 2.2 into my 93, or if I would have to get a new engine AND transmission that was originally a 5 speed. Basically, can I take the 2.2 out of the automatic, and bolt it directly to a 5 speed tranny? Thanks...

The transmission will bolt up. However, the engine will need to bring its computer with it. That's a wiring nightmare.

If the '96 body is in good shape, you should consider putting the 2WD 5mt in it. That might be easier.

Either way, it's a large project. I would put it off until the 1.8L engine dies.

The 96 is totalled. That's the only reason I am considering doing it this way. How is it that its a wiring nightmare? I know nothing about this stuff, my uncle is gonna help me do it. I'm pulling the A/C off the 2.2 once I get it out of the car so that's one less thing I'll have to deal with.

Well, there's tons of wires going to the computer and all throughout the car. Look behind the driver's and passenger's footwells and see. I don't know how many of the wires from your 1.8's computer will clip right on to your 2.2's. I guess that would determine how big of a project the wiring would be.