Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rusted Floors - Trials and Tribulations

What have you guys done to take care of those rusted floors ? I have a few holes in my 80 dl hatch and I'm starting to repair them. I'm thinking about using some extend or the klean strip converter to stop the rust after I get all the loose scabs out. I was also contemplating pop riveting some sheet metal in, priming it , then putting a layer of fiber glass over that to make it all water tight. Rustolem the bottom then undercoat it. Any suggestions? from the bottom door sills up, this hatch is in great shape, with the only other rust being on the drivers door in a few dime sized spots, so I'd hate to see it go to the sag of death. All the frame rails look good.

• 9 months later...

get some old road signs, cut out some plates to fit into the right spot, spray it around the edges with great stuff foam, then bolt, sheet medal screw, etc. it to your floor and throw some mats over it, you can also use some felt lining to cover it up whcih will deadin sound and add insulation