Ultimate Subaru Message Board

it will lock and unlock the doors, honk the horn as it should, but the lights don't flash..

any ideas? i've already read the writeup on the different alarms, nothing in there about setting the lights to flash..

Subaru alarm system?? (Will have a panel next to fog lamp switch that says "security" with a little red LED in it)

yes its a subaru alarm system, no i don't have a little red light on the dash next to the fog light switch..

Subaru alarm system for Legacy and Outback beginning 1999 model year uses a little LED indicator in a "panel" that says "security". That panel is the same size as the fog lamp switch, cruise control switch, and rear defrost switch. The panel that says "security" took the place of the rectangular, flat "blind plug" which was originally in the dash to the left of the fog lamp switch. Are ya' positive you've got a genuine Subaru security system in there??

yes its a suabru alarm system, even has a subaru key fob... but no light on the dash.. key fob has subaru stamped in it..

heh the one in my SVX won't go into programmimng mode.. absolutely won't do anything..

I know I'm startin' to sound like a broken record here, but are you sure it has a Subaru security system?? I can tell you've got keyless entry (I believe that became standard on Outbacks in '99) and I understand that the key fobs say "Subaru" on them, but that in itself does not mean your vehicle has a Subaru security system which would sound the horn and flash the lights when the car is broken into. The security system was a factory option, or it was dealer-installed with a Subaru kit that consisted of an alarm module (which was installed in the dash behind the stereo) and the little panel that says "security" next to the fog lamp switch. By the way, that kit is still available... (I know because I just bought one from 1stsubaruparts.com for about 45 bucks and installed it myself in my '99.)

alright , your deffinitely sounding like a broken record but yes it has a subaru system in it, i pulled apart the dash last night, has a subaru tag and a part # on the control module for it..

NO i do not have a red flashing light on my dash...

beeps once when locking doors, twice when unlocking.. no lights flash at all..

alright , your deffinitely sounding like a broken record but yes it has a subaru system in it, i pulled apart the dash last night, has a subaru tag and a part # on the control module for it..

NO i do not have a red flashing light on my dash...

beeps once when locking doors, twice when unlocking.. no lights flash at all..

OK, OK I'm sayin' "uncle" now. So I went to this website: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyle...ogram%20remotes

and it gives a very thorough description of Subaru alarm system operation for all vehicles since the mid-90's---but there's no mention of turning off or on the feature that flashes the lights. Did they used to flash when the alarm was armed or disarmed? I'm still wondering about the alarm installation in your car---if there's no security indicator panel and there IS a genuine Subaru alarm module behind the dash ashtray housing below the stereo, does your car have an incomplete installation?? Now you've got me.......I've still got the installation instructions for the Subaru security kit that I recently installed on my '99. Do you want a copy faxed to you so you can trace out the installation in your car??