Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil leak onto cat

Im new to the USMB but have an old school suby. Its an 83 with 54000 on the clock. My problem with it right now is that it leaks oil right onto the cat and its burning off in big clouds of blue when i stop. My shop said its the rear main seal. Does this require pulling the engine like i think it does. Could they have been mistaken and could it really be my oil pan. I had an 86 that leaked a lot from the pan so thats why im asking. Thanks for any help u can give.

It could be the oil pan or a number of other places dripping and it getting blown onto the cat converter - best option is to thourghly clean the engine, and check for leaks again - you can pull the engine or transmission to do the rear main seal if that is the case - if it is the oil pan I would probably just take the engine mounts loose and raise it a bit.

All Subie sooner or later get oil leaks and they always seem to end up on the exhaust, which leads to this bit of Subaru wisdom...

How do you know when your Subaru is out of oil... You can't smell it burnning off the exhaust any more. :-p

Gary

Either the rear main seal or pan gasket could leak onto the cat very easily. Pulling the engine is very easy on the older soobs like yours, so even if it's the rear main seal, you could do it in a day without much trouble.

With that little mileage on the car (54,000 miles?! Holy crap!!!:eek: ), I would guess it has sat for long periods of time, which can dry up the seals. I would not be at all surprised if the rear main is leaking. You should also look at the front crank seal as well as the oil pump and rocker cover gaskets. Oil can actually find its way back to the cat from those places as well.

Hey!! Another CT Subie owner...Yeah!:banana:.

My Bucky leaks oil from everywhere....I just call it "marking his territory".

If you want to...Sat and Sunday in Milford CT Moosens is having a get together. Lots of parts for just about everything up to 89 and Loyales. He is moving across town and needs to clean house.Come on down ..there will be much knowledge around (plus we can oogle over your low mileage car:grin: )

There really isnt anything hard to do on these cars if you have a place to do it and the right tools.