Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can my RX compete in Stage Rally? Going to the Oregon Trail to see what's doin...

I want to get a feel for the possibilty of building my RX into a stage car, I'm a bit worried about power, aftermarket parts and reliabilty, looking for thoughts and ideas.

I'm going to the Oregon Trail RAlly to see just how fast the competition is. Friday night they are having a couple stages at the PIR that should be spectator freindly, if anybody else is interested in checking it out look here for info:

http://www.oregontrailrally.com/

sure you can!!!! Need a co-driver? (hint hint)

If it were me, my concerns would be in this order

Roll cage

Brakes

tires

suspension

skid plates

I wouldn't worry about power until everything else was dialed mostly the driver

I'm sure a bone stock EA82t powerplant would have plenty of balls to scare the crap out of you on a stage rally.

DO IT!!!!

garner

Yep, like garner said, sure you can (once you have fitted the required safety gear).

But If you’re asking if you could be competitive, then no, the turbo and AWD will put you in a class with cars like the WRX, STI, Evo and DSMs, unfortunately the RX is outclassed by newer cars. You might put up a better fight in a modified class but you will have to spend a good deal of money and nobody makes upgrade parts for the EA82/T cars.

BUT, could you have a lot of fun loosing… I’m betting the time of your life.

Sorry to be a downer

Gary

P.S. Get inside the US rally scene here: http://www.specialstage.com/dc/dcboard.php

Cool Garner, I'll need a volunteer!

Really though I just like talking about my RX and really wanted you guys to see the info on the rally, I figured it would get moved otherwise.

I picked up a '93 turbo legacy and I'm looking for a Imp body now, that will be my stage car, I' m getting tired of adapting things to the RX, it is competetive in rally cross though. All the same, I don't want to spend for the cage for the RX, I'd rather put it in the Imp. I do appreciate the imput, I'm nostalgic enough to use the RX if money was not an obstacle.

The race at PIR should be cool, it is really fun to go watch in the woods but you just see a very short glimpse of the race. At PIR you should be able to see much of the stage (I'm hoping) like the european rally cross or a WRC special stage. I think this format is new to ORG and I haven't seen one so it's new for me. But I'm definately going to check it out. I'll be at the Park Expose around 3:00.

hey mark did you ever get that down pipe installed?

if so how does it run?

it takes a lot to do rally for real as I like to say. espically yhe time and cash you need to invest.

if you (and your wife) are up for it. DO IT

otherwise you will end up like me just rallyXing and watching WRC on the TV.

The event at PIR is sort of a special stage, for the purpose of bringing rally closer to fans. Last years was great. There was a rally cross course set up, then a quarter mile drag, and thirdly around all of PIR, a gravel tarmac course. I drove it, it was fun. XSNRG-you'll be seeing your fair share of skilled drivers this year. Be on the look out for another RX piloted by Ron Sorem.

00-1.jpg

that's him

photos from last year --http://community.webshots.com/album/146760163hkcnFx

Yes the pipe is on, I love it. I also did the standard tune up, sent my injectors to RC Engineering and had them cleaned and balanced, added a boost controller. I can't beleive the difference, it's feels like the power doubled. The car really works awesome for rallyx, I got second in the first race beating 30 or so WRX's, RS', etc...

I'm currently instaling the Super Pro bushings and some other handling mods, should improve the handling for the next race. I missed first by 10 seconds over three races so I'm hoping with the suspension mods I can get closer to first, I only need to improve my time by 3% (much of this can be attributed to the driver).

hey mark did you ever get that down pipe installed?

if so how does it run?

it takes a lot to do rally for real as I like to say. espically yhe time and cash you need to invest.

if you (and your wife) are up for it. DO IT

otherwise you will end up like me just rallyXing and watching WRC on the TV.

Yeah, I went but it was too wet to really learn anything, a lot of fun though.

If the car lacks power, it comes down to the driver to make up the difference. Did you go to the RallyX school a couple weeks back, Mark?

Cool, thanks for the info. I have talked with Ron via email, looking forward to seeing his car and meeting him.

The event at PIR is sort of a special stage, for the purpose of bringing rally closer to fans. Last years was great. There was a rally cross course set up, then a quarter mile drag, and thirdly around all of PIR, a gravel tarmac course. I drove it, it was fun. XSNRG-you'll be seeing your fair share of skilled drivers this year. Be on the look out for another RX piloted by Ron Sorem.

00-1.jpg

that's him

photos from last year --http://community.webshots.com/album/146760163hkcnFx

Hey Mark....If you are True And Blue about getting into this type of Rally, I'd Be all for Co-Pilot....I also Happen to know a Guy who does Pretty Nice Bender Work.....:)

As well as Knows How To Mod things .....

Do you know what the Rules/Regs Are For say a 2.0 or 2.2 Turbo'd 87 GL-10 Sedan with XT-6 Running gear, and a Hi-Lo tranny......:)

I have access to a 2.0 short Block with 20,000 on the clock , as well as a GL-10 SEDAN shell in good Shape ....with the XT-6 running gear, it will handle very well, and Accept alot of the new gen suspension stuff....Think Outside the Box.....

This car set up right with 2 good Drivers Would Kill I think.....

Gutted, Super Light, yet very agile.....and Gobbs of Power to spare...... :slobber::D:slobber:

Last time I checked into this Typy Rally though, It was going to cost about 3500.00 just to get into the First race...This Involved getting SCCA membership, setting the Car up to be SCCA certified, and then entry fee's for the race.....

Give me a Call if you are Serious.....

John.....

Mark, a majority of it is driver. After stating for the last few years that a Brat couldn't compete in open class I set third fastest combined scores for the day at the last rallyx, In an '85 BRAT. Although Bill P. handed everyone their heads that day.After the work you have done so far the RX would be competetive. See you in May.

Nah, Ken, it's the car!:lol:

Mark, a majority of it is driver. After stating for the last few years that a Brat couldn't compete in open class I set third fastest combined scores for the day at the last rallyx, In an '85 BRAT. Although Bill P. handed everyone their heads that day.After the work you have done so far the RX would be competetive. See you in May.

Yes, I'm serious but it may be season after next...I have money but not as much as I should, I need to budget over time for the build.

In open class, you can do all of the things your talking about, I have a list of mods similar to that I've been contemplating for a couple years now. I recently shifted over to the idea of using an Imp just cause there are tons of used (and new) bolt on parts out there.

I agree a RX with a EJT would be a spectacle to behold, a literal fire breathing dragon. I think the early Imp is not much heavier than an RX but I not sure.

Cost is always an issue. A rally like OT is expensive but there are lots of other rallys that are not as much, like the club rallys ($250) and the rally sprints ($60). Also, SCCA is developing a stadium rally format.

Hey Mark....If you are True And Blue about getting into this type of Rally, I'd Be all for Co-Pilot....I also Happen to know a Guy who does Pretty Nice Bender Work.....smile.gif

As well as Knows How To Mod things .....

Do you know what the Rules/Regs Are For say a 2.0 or 2.2 Turbo'd 87 GL-10 Sedan with XT-6 Running gear, and a Hi-Lo tranny......smile.gif

I have access to a 2.0 short Block with 20,000 on the clock , as well as a GL-10 SEDAN shell in good Shape ....with the XT-6 running gear, it will handle very well, and Accept alot of the new gen suspension stuff....Think Outside the Box.....

This car set up right with 2 good Drivers Would Kill I think.....

Gutted, Super Light, yet very agile.....and Gobbs of Power to spare...... slobber.gifbiggrin.gifslobber.gif

Last time I checked into this Typy Rally though, It was going to cost about 3500.00 just to get into the First race...This Involved getting SCCA membership, setting the Car up to be SCCA certified, and then entry fee's for the race.....

Give me a Call if you are Serious.....

John.....

I think this is true in rallyx but in stage rally I'm thinking the codriver is the most important person along with the service crew (which very well might be the driver and codriver) I say this only because the driving is just driving but the codriver needs to be good with mapping and timing is critical.

The Brats are impressive in rallyx.

The RX has responded well to the mods I've done, I would like to do more. I'll have all the bushing and camber plates installed this weekend. Should tighten things up a bit.

Here's another issue...Rally America is considering a rule where new teams would have to have a certtain numer of rallys in a low powered car before they would earn a license for a high powered car. I was thinking about a N/A 2.2 Imp and then convert later to a turbo. I'm not sure where they are with the new rule but we would need to be sure about that.

Cool....We will have to put heads together in May at the Hillsboro Rally...

Anyone know what a 93-95 impreza L series Sedan Weighs stock...??

John......

I heard that you would have to do 4 rallys in a non-turboed, 2 wheel drive car 1st, or take 2 driving courses before you could "upgrade" This is so inexperienced drivers would gain experience, before moving up to something faster. I don't know if this has gone into effect yet, but it's something to check out.

So Find a N/A Impreza Sedan,

Zap says his is 2900lbs with a 3700 Gross weight capacity....

So gut the Imp, get it down around 2400-2500lbs.....Stuff the 2.2 and A Hi-Lo LSD tranny in it.....:)

Run it one Season as that, then upgrade the Engine to 2.2 Turbo......add the other suspension tidbits and Go Kick A** in Season 2.......:)