Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Uhhhhh...oil in the vacume lines!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, Iv'e been having problems with vacume lines blowing off on the EA82T. Not that big of a deal, I have just been zip-tieing them back on. But yester day on my way to work I passed a big rig, @ full boost (11psi) and I thought I smelled burning oil. I looked in the rear view, and I see a big cloud of oil smoke in the road right where I passed, but I wasen't smoking any more. When I got to work I found 1 of the 3 vac. lines that go to the base of the TB off, and there was oil all over the top driver side of the intake. It looked like all the oil came out of the vac. line. I put it back on ( and the other 2 that came off) and I havent had any problems.

So what's up with that?!? Oil in the vac. line:eek: It looked like it was fresh out of my engine.

Iv'e got the center case vent hose going to open air, the pass. side going to the intake hose before the turbo, and the driver side going to the port on the intake ( where the idle air bypass valve gets its air from) No PVC valves any where, is that bad? I plan on running them all to 1 air box with a small UNI air filter on it.

Anyone run a vacuum pump on the crankcase of their turbo or high rpm motor? Under full boost or high rpm, the crankcase pressure can become real high, even with open vents and stuff. If you can SUCK air out of the crankcase, HP is gained and oil control restored. This reduces oil leaks too. HP goes up, because, you know, the backside of the pistons are pumping air also. If there's nothing to pump, then ther's less parasitic loss.

They sell vac pumps specifically for this (Moroso), some people use smog pumps (GM).

Setright beat me to it, well done

Plus how can you create pressure with wide open ports in the cam cases, and in the crankcase?

If you are saying the blow by is so high as to cause this, you need new rings not a vacuum pump.

I will say this, if you restrict the crankcase pressure vent system on a turbo-the cam seals will blow out of their glands.

To add, there have been posts saying aftermarket PCV valve are not good for turbos, stay with gen U wine Subaru for these.

Any chance that cloud of smoke you pumped out was the product of detonation? My SPFI ea-82 is starting to get weak rings and the blowby through the crank case venting into the intake tract causes oil build-up as well as making more detonation by raising the intake temps under extreme loads. I solved my problem by venting everything to a dump can and plugging the intake port. On the vac hoses popping off??? Is there a check valve at the vacuum port in the intake that keeps boost from entering the vacuum system? Seems to me there should be something else you'd be pressurizing the vacuum system every time the turbo was pumping. If there is a check valve could it be malfunctioning and causing the lines to pop off? Well those are my random guesses having never worked on a eaT.

Well the problem is back, and regular now. Every time I get on the boost for more than a second or two, I start blowing blue smoke. It is so thick that it trys to foul out my plugs:eek:

Could it be that the turbo is making enough draw on the intake hose ( where I have my pasenger side engine vent hose going to ) that it is SUCKING oil into the turbo/ intake?

:o As I type this it makes sence!! It has not done this for the last 2 days, but this morning I checked my oil and I was 1qt low. I put a quart in, and BLAMO!! I have the oil burn problem agen. It's got to be the case vent going into the intake hose BEFORE the turbo, the vacume line wasent the one with oil in it, it was the intake spiting oil out hte vac. line port under hard boost!