Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy 00 rear brake job q's

Just replaced rear rotors and pads on my Legacy Wagon.

Everything seemed fine until yesterday when I started hearing a squeal on the highway. Especially when turning left. Upon closer inspection my rear left break was very hot. Not the caliper but the center drum section which houses the e-brake. The wheel still rotated freely when pushed in neutral.

Now did I miss doing something with the e-brake when I replaced the disks? Do they need some sort of adjusting or again need some lube? The handbrake doesn't feel tight at all...

Thanks for any info!

Sébastien

Yes, they should be adjusted to the disk. Your old disk had some wear and if the E-brake shoes were adjusted out, they will be to tight on the new rotors. I'd pull it back off and check the condition of the brake shoes and drum/rotor. Adjust them and you should be OK.

Thanks!

If I understand well, there are two types of adjustments then. One right at the drum and the other for the cable lengths in the console. Can the adjustement at the drum be done without removing the disk/drum assembly?

Seb.