Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leaking oil pump?

Hey Subesters

I’ve got an oil leak at the lower front of my EA82 (’87 GL Wagon), looks to be the oil pump, filter adapter or front crank seal. Their seams to be oil coming out of the timing belt cover so I’m leaning toward the pump or shaft seal. What’s the most likely source?

Thanks

Gary

It's REALLY hard to tell untill you pull all that dang plastic out of the way. Could be several things doing it but I'm sure its more then just one culprit :)

If it is the pump that is a pretty easy fix. Reseal kit was like $8 from checkers and you can do it in an afternoon. Never done the cam seals but I would imagine its a bit more involved since the timing belts have to come off and then go back on properly. That can be a pain.

Might wanna plan a weekend to just knock them all out at once? If yo uare going to take off all the timing guards, belts, pullies etc to see whats leaking you might as well fix them while you are in there :)

Thanks Morgan

I did the cam seals last fall when I did the heads so I doubt its them (I hope), I did notice it was "damp" around the pump at the time so thats why I suspect it. Just wondering if there was a “common” leak I should be looking for.

Gary