Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New gas filters and still the sputtering

1985 2dr Hatchback 4wd Ea81 with carb.

I have now changed both fuel filters, the car is timed, new plugs. Newer distributor. After changing this last filter(rear) the car has more power, but the thing is still sputtering when I use hard acceleration. Not all the time, but most. If I let up just a little on the throttle it will smooth out. I let the tank get to empty and below before changing the last filter. Could this have caused it to suck up more junk from the tank and it will just take a while to clear out? Also could putting on the new filter cause problems with air in the line? While checking to see if there was any gas leaks from the new filter I was hearing a lot of gruggling from the gas tank. I opened the gas cap and it sounded like it sucked the gas down not out of the filler tube. Could I have the wrong gas cap on this? Sorry for all the questions, but I know you guys will have the answers.Oh and yes I got the filter on correct with the arrow out.

i had a 85 ea82 with a carb. i ended up taking the top off of the carb. cleaned bowl out. then cut the gasket out where the needle moves up and down. the gasket was sucked down towards it. it wouldn"t let it move properly hope this might help

I am going to have the fuel pressure checked if it doesn't clear out. Last night I ran my wife to work and back and it didn't do it that trip. I guess it might have been from running it out of gas and sucking up the junk out of the tank that did it if it doesn't do it again.

My '88 SPFI had similar issues. I removed the coil and cleaned all ring connectors with a wire brush & checked all the associated wires for integrity. If you do that you may want to write down which wire(s) go to which terminals on the coil 'cuz if you reconnect them wrong, you are gonna fry something. Afterwards, the sputtering was gone. just my $.02.

My '88 SPFI had similar issues. I removed the coil and cleaned all ring connectors with a wire brush & checked all the associated wires for integrity. If you do that you may want to write down which wire(s) go to which terminals on the coil 'cuz if you reconnect them wrong, you are gonna fry something. Afterwards, the sputtering was gone. just my $.02.

Thanks I will check into that also if this continues.