Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suspension Retroing

SuBrat84

The bolt pattern on the strut tops is the same on the front of the WRX, but it's rotated a bit. The rear strut tops are different on the 02+ Imprezas. You'd need strut tower braces from a 93-01 Impreza, I think. That's what I did on my 93 Legacy. I'm not sure how Legacies changed from 94-95, though. I hear the suspension stayed the same. Rear swaybars for sure don't fit because of the bump in the spare tire well. Many places make Legacy-specific swaybars. You can use any spring or strut as long as you use the right upper perches and tops (except 05 STi).

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=2153

• 3 weeks later...

Well. I did it. It took a little convincing. But I put a 22mm Rear Sway from an '02 Impreza 2.5 RS on my 98 Legacy 2.5 GT. I also Managed to fit the White Line Rear Strut Brace on there too. Didn't have time to do the springs today.. but they're goin on this weekend. WooHoo Better Handling!

Hey, I didn't "pound" the tire well... I used a jack and a socket to form a "canal" for the bar to fit through. The strut brace bracket fit... but I had to widen the access holes about .5 inch on the "front" side and .5 inch on the bottom. It all fits good though and I love the respone I get out of it. Going to do the springs ASAP. I wanted to ask for anyones advise about the springs.. Im being told that I have to actually remove the strut? I was kinda hoping it was like a take everything off the bottom.. drop the spring out.. stick the new one on... replace all the stuff.. good to go... So, if anyone could give me a run through of how to do a spring job (98 leg 2.5) I would appreciate it. I do have spring compressors and all the tools I need. Thanks.

What did it take to fit them? Did you have to pound the bump in the tire well out of the way for the rear sway, and did the holes line up for the strut tower brace?

... I wanted to ask for anyones advise about the springs.. Im being told that I have to actually remove the strut? I was kinda hoping it was like a take everything off the bottom.. drop the spring out.. stick the new one on... replace all the stuff.. good to go... So, if anyone could give me a run through of how to do a spring job (98 leg 2.5) I would appreciate it. I do have spring compressors and all the tools I need. Thanks.

*Bump* Or a link maybe? Thanks.

Update: The front springs don't fit. And I'm not going to try the back springs because of this. They might fit with the proper "hat" on them. It seems to me like they are too short though... but maybe the proper hat would take care of that.. no $$ to look into it right now though. and boy was it a P.I.T.A. to get that old spring back on. If anyone knows if the springs would fit with the proper hat please let me know? I would love to have these springs on my legacy.. but I dont want to break anything in the process. Stock springs are too mushy with the sway and strut on the back. -Eli-

All you need is the right upper spring perches, I believe. And, as far as I know, the best way to get springs off and on is to remove the entire assembly and rent or buy a spring compressor. It usually works best to loosen the top nut before you uncompress the spring (but not remove it), unless you have an impact wrench or a pass-through socket.