Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Legacy Outback 2.5 w/ Auto trans ???

Something is really wrong with my transmission. My 97 Outback has 130k miles and runs great but now when I start the car the oil at temp light flashes repeatedly. The manual says this indicates an electronic problem in the Transmission. ANy advice before I head into the dealership?

The car runs and shifts fine on the road, but at low speed with the wheels cut, like in a parking lot it feels like something binds up. The car doesn't want to coast, you actually have step on the gas more. If I park the car, put the trans in park and shut off the engine the car lurches in the opposite direction from the last position of the trans (F or R). It is real strange. Anyone recognize this problem?

I was just at my dealers today for the same symptoms. The service manager told me that it is a solenoid that controls the center differential going bad that causes these problems. They recommend rebuilding the whole assembly at this time due to there being more parts that are worn by the time the solenoid fails. I guess after 145K I can live with putting a little$$$ into keeping it running. He also said putting in the FWD fuse will prevent the binding and stop any further wear. You just have to live with the idiot light until everythings fixed.