Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 driveshaft U-joint = toast

I gotta say.... 315,800 miles is not a bad run for an original driveshaft and u-joints thats probably never EVER been serviced in its life. Been off roading, banged over rocks, 4WD launched many MANY times, rallycrossed.... delivered pizza for 18+ months...

Well today on the way to Snohomish, the GL started shaking really REALLY bad. We were on I-5 going north in the Olympia area. For those who dont know Mark / XSNRG lives there... so we limped along at 75 for a while til we got to his exit... kinda shaking a bit, but drivable at 75, but NO other speeds...

Got off, shook like mad while slowing down to the stopsign.

Limped it to Mark's house to see if he had a driveshaft or 5 speed DR we could toss in the car to maybe install when we got back to Portland (thought the car would survive the trip since it seemed ok at 75)

No tranny, but he had one driveshaft. So I bought it.

We decided to check under the car.

What do we find? The rearmost U-joint that bolts to the rear diff was near ready to fall off!

It was WAY WAY WAY off center (causing the crazy vibration) Pretty scary really, 10 more miles down the road and it may have blown up!

Pictures will be coming soon... needless to say Mark changed it right there in the driveway for me... I OWE YOU BIG buddy!

We made the trip without further incident!

What I previously thought was my transfer case going out turned out to be just a toasted U-joint.... a heck of a lot simpler and cheaper than a tranny swap thats for sure!