Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello All,

I am a owner of a 1998 Subaru Outback and have recencly had it overheat. After driving about a half an hour the engine overheated and the overflow flow tank overflowed with coolant. We replaced the thermostat but it was still overheating so we pulled the thermastat completely and it has not overheated since. I tested both the new thermostat and the old one and they both fully opened at 195 degrees F so they seems to be functioning properly.

I am thinking it might be the water pump and it can't pump the coolent with the added pressure caused by the thermostat but was looking for any other suggestions or comments.

Thanks.

It could not leak until it reachs a certain tempreture. With the thermostat out it may be staying below the temp where it leaks.

You have to go by the water pump anyway to change a gasket when you remove the belts. I would probalby try everything I could think of first from testing the radiator, cap, and hoses.

On this type of car I often think of head gaskets first as they are such a problem. Some folks have driven them for some time with the thermostat out, but please avoid trips.

I have seen those threads but I don't believe it is a head gasket because what difference would it make if the thermostat is in or out.

Thanks

You might be right but maybe, with the thermostat out, your engine never reaches temperatures able to make the head gaskets leak. These kind of leaks happen only when the engine reaches a certain level of temperature. It's still cold outside right now in Nova Scotia, but when summer comes maybe things will be different.

Good luck and hope you're right.