Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'95 Legacy radio/audio system stopped working- any advice?

Hello! I'm Rachel, and I'm new here. A little bit about me: I'm 17, and I drive a '95 Suburu Legacy with 136,000 miles on it. It's my first car, and I love it to death. It's very reliable, easy to drive, and it gets me where I need to go. :)

Here's the problem: Sometime while I was driving, the radio stopped working. I'm not quite sure when it happened, because I was driving other people around, and I tend to keep the volume down. I tried to play a tape, but no sound came out. The clock works, and the antenna is fine. My dad checked the fuses and he said they were fine. I don't think I blew out the speakers because I don't listen to music really loud. What would you suggest I do? Are there any electrical repairs that can be done to fix it? Should I put in a new car radio? Please keep in mind that my parents aren't willing to spend a lot of money on the repair. I don't need a new, fancy stereo system in my car- I just need a stereo system where the radio works. Thanks in advance for your help!

Do the stations change on the display, as if the radio itself, still works?

I'm pretty sure as I remember, that there are at least 2 sets of plugs on the back of the radio. One supplies power the other is the plug that has all the speaker wires connected. I suppose it's possible that the speaker plug has somehow popped out, if you can get to the back of the radio to check, I'd do that first. If all else fails ebay should have a stock one for a little bit of $.

Good luck.

I am doubtful that it is a simple fuse issue.

If you are not able to get it fixed for only a few dollars, you might want to consider putting in a new stereo. A CD player would cost you around or even less than $100 for a decent one. If you shop around, sometimes circuit city.good guys/bestbuy...etc...has a deal where if you buy the deck from them, they will install it for free.

Hello! I'm Rachel, and I'm new here. A little bit about me: I'm 17, and I drive a '95 Suburu Legacy with 136,000 miles on it. It's my first car, and although it's old and a piece of crap, I love it to death. It's very reliable, easy to drive, and it gets me where I need to go. :)

Here's the problem: Sometime while I was driving, the radio stopped working. I'm not quite sure when it happened, because I was driving other people around, and I tend to keep the volume down. I tried to play a tape, but no sound came out. The clock works, and the antenna is fine. My dad checked the fuses and he said they were fine. I don't think I blew out the speakers because I don't listen to music really loud. What would you suggest I do? Are there any electrical repairs that can be done to fix it? Should I put in a new car radio? Please keep in mind that my parents aren't willing to spend a lot of money on the repair. I don't need a new, fancy stereo system in my car- I just need a stereo system where the radio works. Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi Rachel,

Is your car a legacy L or a Legacy Brighton? If it is a Legacy L the car comes from the factory with a Pannasonic P114 (this is marked on the little flap where you put the cassette tape in) and it has 1 plug for all of the power and all of the speakers. Check out the photos on this auction site to get an idea what the back of your radio looks like. If you have a P114 then yours looks like the radio on top in the 2 pictures with the radio and CD player together. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7970018281&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT Then there is the antenna connection.The round plug in is for an add on CD player. As already mentioned see if the stations change with the radio on. Does the clock still work? If the clock still works and the stations change, try playing a cassette. If the tape goes in but no sound, the clock works and the stations change then the internal amp is probably gone. If the clock works, the cassete player plays and the stations change but there is no sound from the radio then the antenna connection has come loose. If your radio is shot I have a P114 radio I would sell you for $15 plus actual shipping (or bid on the CD player). You can also do a search on this site to see what CD players people have put in their cars and whether they like them and how well they fit.

Good luck,

Greg