Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have VLSD on my 93 SS. And no you dont HAVE to, it does make them hook up smoother. but if you dont like smooth and want it to grab, dont use additives.

My jeep has a full detroit in the rear and a trutrack LSD in front. no additives ever, it makes them "soft"

• 3 weeks later...
You don't need to run any additive in the fluid, in fact, running an additive will do absolutely nothing because the Limited slip portion uses a sealed viscous coupling, just like the center diff.
\

05 Outback wagon with auto trans: No center diff.; however, my rear is an LSD.

Is the LS portion of my rear diff. likewise a separate sealed unit? (and is that to say it is self-contained in the diff. itself?)

\

05 Outback wagon with auto trans: No center diff.; however, my rear is an LSD.

Is the LS portion of my rear diff. likewise a separate sealed unit? (and is that to say it is self-contained in the diff. itself?)

ALL of subaru's limited slip differentials use a viscous coupling, and are sealed.

ALL of subaru's limited slip differentials use a viscous coupling, and are sealed.

Thanks Josh. I had bought a sizeable tube of friction modifier, and directions said to squeeze the entire tube into the diff. unit; i was racking my brain as to how much of the tube to actually use, considering that my rear diff. capacity is only 0.8 qts. It's great news to know that I need not bother at all!

Speaking of diffs, my front unit appears to have a drain plug that will require a T-70 Torx bit - is this for real? The only T-70 that i've been able to locate on the web so far are sold in Great Britain. Any guidance?

Thanks Josh. I had bought a sizeable tube of friction modifier, and directions said to squeeze the entire tube into the diff. unit; i was racking my brain as to how much of the tube to actually use, considering that my rear diff. capacity is only 0.8 qts. It's great news to know that I need not bother at all!

Speaking of diffs, my front unit appears to have a drain plug that will require a T-70 Torx bit - is this for real? The only T-70 that i've been able to locate on the web so far are sold in Great Britain. Any guidance?

Hmm...not sure about the t-70 torx bit thing.

You may want to ask somebody on http://www.legacygt.com/forums

if your lucky enought, you might be able to find a clutch type lsd from an 80's rx.... the early turbos came with them.... they only came in a 3.7, but is easily changed to that of a 4.11 variety..... only downside is that you have to machine a few parts to run legacy/ impreza axle stubs.... mine ran about $100......

<<Speaking of diffs, my front unit appears to have a drain plug that will require a T-70 Torx bit - is this for real? The only T-70 that i've been able to locate on the web so far are sold in Great Britain. Any guidance?>>

a what? if your refering to a subaru front diff, its a 22MM size plug.

This has been hashed over in other threads.

The LSD was optional on the 1991 Legacy Turbo only, and not available in any other years.

check the older section, they rant and rave about the clutch type lsd...... its harder to find but trust me it exists.........i have one in my bedroom........soon to be on my car.......

<<Speaking of diffs, my front unit appears to have a drain plug that will require a T-70 Torx bit - is this for real? The only T-70 that i've been able to locate on the web so far are sold in Great Britain. Any guidance?>>

a what? if your refering to a subaru front diff, its a 22MM size plug.

well the 04 and 05 outback (not sure about the Forester) requires a T70 internal torx bit to remove the front diff. drain plug; some say Subaru decided to mess with us Saturday mechanics; some say they went with the Torx head to prevent Joe Schmoe at jiffylube from draining the diff. instead of the engine oil; why they didn't go with a T60 that I can get for $8 at my local autoparts store is the mystery; a T70 is only available at toolsource.com for $29.50 + ship; or as part of an impact torx set on ebay for $60+++. The T70 is made in germany by stahlwille, and in england by draper. gutes gluck!