Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The 2.2 liter engine is EXTREMELY reliable....Almost any subaru had the 2.2 at some point, impreza, legacy, Outback Sport, Forrester

The DOHC 2.5 that came as an option for many of the above models, and standard in the outbacks, and some other models have a common head gasket issue....the brand new SOHC 2.5's though are pretty rock solid....new WRX, STI, Forrester etc

Hope this helps

I believe the "rock solid" 2.5 model referred to is now an interference engine which on the off chance that your timing belt or tensioner goes unexpectedly, you can basically use your engine as a lawn ornament.

The old 2.2 was bulletproof and the old timing chain was flawless.

Pete--the "bulletproof" 2.2L engine was introduced in the first Legacy model in 1990 and went relatively unchanged through 1996. It was a NON-interference design and seems to have very few problems. I drive a '95 model and love it.

In 1996/97 Subaru brought out the dohc 2.5L, an interference design. Some people have had overheating and HG problems. They feel burned by Subaru--I can sympathize, I'd feel the same way!

But the vast majority have not had any problems. Some feel the problem is caused by improper filling of the coolant system--air trapped in the system causes uneven cooling which leads to overheating and HG failure.

Unfortunately, you'll get as many opinions as there are Subaru drivers. A shame in a way because Subies overall are rock-solid vehicles.

If you want some expert opinions on the HG issue, check with the guys at Hopkins Auto in Spokane--they have an excellent reputation. Or call Dan Maurin at ROOpair Specialties in Tacoma (253-475-1760, dsubarurx@msn.com0 he's a straight shooter.

Good luck, Pete. Hope you find your way into the Subaru ranks!