Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HG issues?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Spokane-Pete

Spokane-Pete

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Spokane

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:29 AM

On the 2.5 engines? What does this mean? The 2.2 is 'bulletproof'? Whats models and years are these uses?
Peter S - NOOBIE and not bought a Subaru yet.

#2 simbey1982

simbey1982

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:39 AM

The 2.2 liter engine is EXTREMELY reliable....Almost any subaru had the 2.2 at some point, impreza, legacy, Outback Sport, Forrester

The DOHC 2.5 that came as an option for many of the above models, and standard in the outbacks, and some other models have a common head gasket issue....the brand new SOHC 2.5's though are pretty rock solid....new WRX, STI, Forrester etc

Hope this helps

#3 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,928 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 26 April 2005 - 07:24 AM

I believe the "rock solid" 2.5 model referred to is now an interference engine which on the off chance that your timing belt or tensioner goes unexpectedly, you can basically use your engine as a lawn ornament.
The old 2.2 was bulletproof and the old timing chain was flawless.

#4 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,646 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:42 PM

Pete--the "bulletproof" 2.2L engine was introduced in the first Legacy model in 1990 and went relatively unchanged through 1996. It was a NON-interference design and seems to have very few problems. I drive a '95 model and love it.

In 1996/97 Subaru brought out the dohc 2.5L, an interference design. Some people have had overheating and HG problems. They feel burned by Subaru--I can sympathize, I'd feel the same way!

But the vast majority have not had any problems. Some feel the problem is caused by improper filling of the coolant system--air trapped in the system causes uneven cooling which leads to overheating and HG failure.

Unfortunately, you'll get as many opinions as there are Subaru drivers. A shame in a way because Subies overall are rock-solid vehicles.

If you want some expert opinions on the HG issue, check with the guys at Hopkins Auto in Spokane--they have an excellent reputation. Or call Dan Maurin at ROOpair Specialties in Tacoma (253-475-1760, dsubarurx@msn.com0 he's a straight shooter.

Good luck, Pete. Hope you find your way into the Subaru ranks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users