Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my intake system seems to be $&*#ed

Earlier I was having an idling problem, which didnt go away but it did get better after cleaning the IAC valve and the TB, still getting crap for mileage and my idle is high when its not in gear (when it is, it'll sit at about 5-600 once its warmed up) Tonight I decided to take a good look at it since I had some time, started pulling hoses, got to the PCV valve...well almost, as soon as I pulled the top hose of the plastic piece (I dont know what it's called I apologize, it's a plastic piece that has an arm on the side that connects to another hose) I smelled the nasty smell of burning oil. very faint but it was there. I looked inside the hose, big mistake. The sides were covered in dirt and oil. I pull that short thick hose with the 2 clips (one end goes over the plastic piece I mentioned earlier, the other I assume the PCV valve) both that and the plastic piece were the same way. The plastic thing was almost completely clogged in the arm. I was told this could have happened when my valve cover gaskets were leaking, esp considering how long they were leaking before I replaced them. Ok that's fine but it looks like to me I have to remove the intake manifold (tb maybe? Im working in limited light and it's not exactly positioned the best way to get a good look at it) to replace the PCV valve? or am I looking at something else? I was expecting to see something similar to the IAC valve but there's nothing I can unscrew from the outside from what it looks like. I'm already planning to replace the intake and tb gaskets, along with basically all the hoses that had gunk in them since they've now hardened at least on the ends and one started to crack (which is why I think it's been like this for quite a while)

It's one of those days I really wish I could find a manual specific to my car, not all subarus from 85-95 :(

Not sure what year or model of car you have so I can't help out with details.

I would certainly replace all the hoses for the PCV system and the PCV valve. For the plastic elbows, I don't think you would have to replace them, just blast some break cleaner through them until they are clean. I am kind of tired and I am having a hard time understanding, are you asking whether you have to take the TB off to change the PCV valve? From what I have seen on most cars they are usually quite accessible, on my '92 legacy all I need is something like a 19mm wrench, it screws right into the TB on the passenger side.

I might check the air filter too, if the PCV hoses are clogged it is quite possible that some oil and crap is clogging the air filter.

Once the hoses and the PCV valve are replaced you could try running some sea foam through the intake to try and clean it.

Sounds like you are getting close to solving your problems, stick with it you'll get there.