Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi. My first post here.

I have an '02 LLBean Outback which I love... except for it's appetite for BRAKES.

I had to have the front rotors cut at 25K because they were warped. I had to have them replaced at 46K because they were warped and couldn't be turned again. Now at 60K, I have to have them replaced because... you got it - they're warped.

My dealer says I must be braking too hard to be generating that much heat, and Subaru says that there's no recall or engineering bulletin about defective brakes. I've never had a car where the rotors warped as much as this one. I realize that I do drive harder than some people, but I've owned many other cars without having to get the rotors cut every 20K!

Am I the only one having problems? Does anyone else have problems with the 02 H6 brakes?

Thanks for any feedback anyone can offer - and if anyone knows where I can get aftermarket rotors (like maybe racing spec ones!), let me know, OK?

Ross

I don't have an '02 H6, but the first gen Outbacks tend to have a lot of warped rotor issues. I've had to have mine cut and replaced and they're warping again.

Another thing that can cause that is tightening the lug nuts too much. Are you aware of the torque to which yours have been tightened? If someone put them on with an impact wrench that would cause warping.

Steve

Another thing that can cause that is tightening the lug nuts too much. Are you aware of the torque to which yours have been tightened? If someone put them on with an impact wrench that would cause warping.

Steve,

Since I get my tires rotated fairly religiously, that's a definite possibility. I'll have to look up the torque specs and check them myself.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ross