Ultimate Subaru Message Board

should I buy a 98 forester?? scared now!

I'm about to go pick up what i thought was a great deal on a 98 forster L automatic. Its in great shape, runs great, has high millage 150k. I'm getting it for $3000 but am nervous now due to this HG issue i can't stop reading about.

Any advise?

I'm about to go pick up what i thought was a great deal on a 98 forster L automatic. Its in great shape, runs great, has high millage 150k. I'm getting it for $3000 but am nervous now due to this HG issue i can't stop reading about.

Any advise?

You seem to be getting a good price...so another $1500 wouldn't kill the deal

Then again...you might never have to replace them.

If a Subaru dealer did it, there should be a record of it on the Subaru Computer database.

A Head gasket could blow on an old one as well as a newer one.

Miles may or may not have anything to do with the Subaru HG Problem.

My .02

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

I'm going to delay on giving a deposit on it tonight and call the dealership/1800-subaru3 tomorrow and see what they can tell me.

I was really excited about finally getting a subaru,a forester no less and now that I've done my research I'm finding that they're junk. Are they all junk as in stay away...or a few?

If the car is in good shape and running great at 150k is that a good indication that maybe the HG was done by the dealership a while back???

$3000 seemed like a great deal a few hours ago...

I certainly wouldn't call it junk - the problem is not as big as it would appear reading on this board. Bear in mind all you are hearing is the people reporting problems, so therefore it seems like a lot of problems.

At $3000, it seems like you're getting quite a deal. I wouldn't worry too much about the HG issue if that's the case, but perhaps be aware it MAY be an issue at some time.

I'm going to delay on giving a deposit on it tonight and call the dealership/1800-subaru3 tomorrow and see what they can tell me.

I was really excited about finally getting a subaru,a forester no less and now that I've done my research I'm finding that they're junk. Are they all junk as in stay away...or a few?

If the car is in good shape and running great at 150k is that a good indication that maybe the HG was done by the dealership a while back???

It still sounds like a great deal. Remember that a lot of people come to this board to get help with problems, so they get pretty badly overrepresented in this venue. Not many people starting threads about how great thier cars are running, or no one responds to them anyway. . .

So think of it as a $4500 forester, still a great deal. Put the extra $1500 away, if the gasket goes then you're set, if it doesn't you've got an extra $1500 plus intrest in the bank. I don't know the details of this car but even if its the most basic model out there its worth about $5k. Other then the head gasket issues its a great car. If it were me I'd offer a little less and explain my nervousness about the HG, but I'd be all over this.

I wouldn't think of it as simply $1500, as he pointed out it's reliability he wants. I haven't been stranded on the side of the highway by a car in decades, because I choose cars carefully and put time and $ into keeping them reliable. If I knew I could make a burnt offering of $1500 to the car gods and be on my way, I wouldn't bother maintaining my car at all. Unfortunately, being let down by a car is usually far more inconvenience and expense than just the repair.

Buy it , you bozo. Ignore the HG issue. Subarus are still the most reliable car you can buy. It may never happen.What does the engine bay look like? Is it clean-oil leaks,escaped coolant,etc? It's not definitive but a good guide. If the car say's buy me, buy it! Don't listen to the pessimists. One is more likely to post grumbles

plaudits.

That's an $8000 car in the UK

It still sounds like a great deal. Remember that a lot of people come to this board to get help with problems, so they get pretty badly overrepresented in this venue. Not many people starting threads about how great thier cars are running, or no one responds to them anyway. . .

I agree totally, the HG issues are not as bad as what we read about on this board.

And even if they do go, you can get them done for $1200 at most shops or do it yourself for less.

I'm about to go pick up what i thought was a great deal on a 98 forster L automatic. Its in great shape, runs great, has high millage 150k. I'm getting it for $3000 ... ?

This would last about three minutes around here, running or not.

How about his? If you're afraid of it, buy it anyhow and I'll send you a deposit sight unseen. I'll have a friend who's heading back to Boston that I'll have look at it. If it's as described I'll buy it and drive it back to Montana myself when I can schedule a flight out and a couple days road trip (three should just about do it Boston>western Montana).

That's how much *I* trust Subarus, and I would LOVE a '98 Forester.

You guys are killing me... how much life could there be left at 150k?

Its a nice car besides this board making me nervous...

Tell ya what. If you're NOT buying this car, how about posting it on the board? Someone with a little more faith in the logevity of Subarus may want it (por moi?).

A price like this I will have it looked at by a Boston friend, buy it and drive it back to Montana.

[rant]

Can you blame this poster for being nervous? *Immediately* any time someone posts up about considering purchasing anything with the Phase 1 2.5l engine, someone vigorously waves the HG red flag. Granted it's not the same people doing this that are now saying the car is a good deal, but if you look at the voice of the USMB as a whole, the Phase 1 2.5l is pretty thoroughly s*** upon.

I'm afraid for the time to come when I might want to sell mine. No one will want to buy it if they spend five minutes on this board.

My $.02: Buy the damn thing and drive it. If it breaks, get it fixed. If you're driving a high mileage or older car, expect that things will break, and be prepared financially to fix them.

[/rant]

Steve

Phase One engines are just as reliable as the phase 2 ...

New they were built with a slightly inferior Head gasket....ALL aftermarket and Dealer replacement HG Are Way better and Kill the HG issue....

As others have already said.....BUY IT....if you are in the least bit worried about its reliablilty, Have a Shop do a Complete engine re-seal....Then you are set to drive the Pee out of it a Good 150-250 thousand providing you give it proper maintenance......

I have Cars I work on here Locally that have 250-350 on their Clock......Simply cause I being their Mechanic Keep them in tip top shape......

Good Luck, Don't shy away from it, Buy it...... :headbang:

John .......

$3000 is a pretty good price. Almost to good. The Car does have kinda high miles. The engine would be the least of my concerns.

I would take it to a Shop and pay for a Full Checkout. All cars break down. I just find something I like, and know that I will be spending money to fix it. Especially a Subaru.

I don't agree that they are the most reliable cars on the road and certainly are not the cheapest cars to repair. I do think they are the best on the road though. If you like everything else about it Color, Options , Etc, then I would get it regardless of our opinions. Thanks