Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electric door locks converting

I have almost no experience with Subarus, but, I was curious about this, I noticed how most of the door lock systems are almost the same in most of the ea81 subarus. if not the same, I was wondering if anyone knew about taking an electric door lock system out of a gl-10 or gl of somekind (any ea81 that has electric door locks), and sticking the electric components into an 84 brat? it was something that cross my mind, seems how I have to pull most of the insides of the car apart anyway, I thought it would be nifty if I could stick electric door locks into it from a parts car that has them. Thanks for any help.

if you (can) add the power locks from an EA82 though, then unlocking the driver's door outside with the key will unlock the passenger's door too. i'm looking into doing this with an EA82 wagon. I don't know yet if I'll have to add anything else except the solenoids in the doors. .....

and i just got off the phone with a guy at spokane auto electric. he said that the harnesses were not all the same even on low-option cars like they are now. so it's not just plug n play like i hoped :P

ok cool, I thought it would just be a neat toy, and yes so when I unlock the door it unlocks the door for the passenger. When I'm inside it's no problem, thats why I'm not worried about electric windows, I have alot of experience in electrical wireing, so wireing these things in is no problem what so ever for me, I don't care how the wireing harness is, as long as I have a +12 volts from the fuse block, and a ground (the car) I'm set. :brow: That firs post was my bad, I ment to say to take the electric locks out of an ea82 car. but I'd only need two of them sense a brat only has 2 doors. so I figured with 2 locks it'd be a piece of cake. I have to pull the doors apart anyway because the windows are jamed in various places.:cool: thanks for the help:-) :D

heh, I was the one looking for a wagon, the brat was dirt cheap, and I didn't know it was mine until Austin had me help him toe it to his house, it has almost no rust, just some on the tailgate that was rear ended. I decided not to argue cause it's in great condition, no dash board cracks, no windsheild cracks... seats were shredded, along with the front carpet, but no biggy. only thing really wrong with it, is a bad engine. it's not the car I was looking for, but atleast I can get this one fixed up and sell it at all other cost, but I think I'm gonna hang on to it for a while if I can.

Yeah! Austin is suposed to get them up here today, it's blue, verymch like yours there, not bad, it has a t-top, orginal rocker seats in the back with seatbelts! it's a very dirty car though, it needs scrubbing inside and out, the guy who owned it was a bad smoker, left cigerette ash all over the carpet and dash, and the windows are all brown from the smoke stains.

That's nice - yours is the 84 blue color - same as my hood and drivers fender - mine is really supposed to be "marina blue" which is an 85 Brat color, that I don't think any other cars or models ever got. Maybe the 85 hatch? Anyway - it's a little different. I'll be having mine painted back to it's original color soon. You can see it's a bit lighter, and more metallic. But at least the blue wagons are plentiful, and I got a good hood, and drivers fender in the older blue color that don't look completely ghetto. I had a maroon hood on it for a while - I felt like trash driving it that way, so I got blue instead.

How much did you have to put down to get that one? Looks like it's in good shape other than a little dirt.

GD

Austin managed to pick it up for 200 bucks, I can't argue with that price.:lol: Anyway in the off topic section I'm gonna be posting a link to the new section of my homepage I'm adding this morning, wich is going to be updated daily or everytime we work on it, as to it's progress. and I'm gonna keep the before and after pictures. So anyone can see how it looked all the way through the entire process.:headbang::banana: