Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EGR Solenoid and Stalling problem

I have a 93 Loyale sedan.

I have been having the check engine light come on and off for a month or two now, and checking the code it read 34 which is the EGR Solenoid.

Now I am having a stalling problem. Also, accelaration is sometimes very jerky.

My questions is: are the two related? Would a bad EGR solenoid cause my syptoms?

Thanks!

Moshe

Moshe, the EGR valve (which is controlled by the solenoid you speak of) can cause stalling if it is leaking at idle.

It could also cause some stumbling on accel if it is stuck wide open

The Exhaust Gas Recirculation should only occur at cruise speeds after the engine is up to normal op temps.

I simple test can be performed to prove if this is the culprit

With the engine warm, manually push the valve open, the idle should immediately change to a lower RPM and get a bit ruff.

If no change is experienced the valve is leaking and must be removed and cleaned (a normal 60000 mile maintenance item)

Note: the solenoid controls a vacuum signal to open the valve.

If the solenoid is electricly "open" the EGR will not operate.

It definitely will affect driveability. I have been having major issues with EGR solenoids for the last few months, having gone through two. What seems to be happening on mine is that the solenoid just goes south on me and causes vacuum to actuate the EGR valve at will or when just coming off part-throttle. This makes it very difficult to "cruise" at low speeds/part throttle. My solution: plug the vacuum line going to the EGR solenoid. Not the best, but the engine runs better now - less bucking and hesitation, etc. My EGR valve appears to be solid and intact.

If you have an OHM meter, disconnect the elecitrical connection to the EGR solenoid and test for continuity across the contacts on the solenoid pigtail - if there is none, then the coil that actuates the solenoid is dead...

Hey Art.

I've attached a picture of the two solenoids from the SPFI donor motor I put in Skeet's car. I apologize for the wait.

One has a black wiring harness clip and the other has a white one. the black one has a vacuum snout broken off as indicated. I don't know which is which.

I also have an SPFI wiring harness, and an EGR valve that I could sell too. Maybe you have something further upstream or wrong with the EGR valve itself? Interested?