Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'05 Sport Wagon... Fuel light Question...

Heya'll...

I've had my '05 Outback sport for about 3 weeks now, and love it... quick question... once the fuel light comes on, how much gas is actually left, and about howq many miles can I push it before filling up again?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff:

That info should be in your owner's manual... it's around 2 gallons or so of usable gas. As far as how far you could "push it" before filling up... that's a good question. Your car weighs around 3000 pounds. How strong are you? ;)

But seriously... why would you want to? I've seen my low fuel light exactly once in several years of ownership of the car, that was intentionally letting it get down to see if the thing worked. I'd rather not push it, literally or figuratively. We get around 23 MPG city and 29 hwy with our '03 Impreza... personal best of 33 mpg on a long highway trip with a tail wind.

Steve

It doesn't say in the book for my 01 Outback Sport but it does say the total capacity of the tank. So when the light comes on fill up as soon as possible subtract the number of gallons you put in from the total capacity of the tank. I've done it a few times on mine and i usualy have 2.5 - 3 US gallons left which is a minimum of 60 or 70 miles.

Thanks,

Actually the info isn;t in the book... and I not usually in the habit of "pushing" it too far if the light comes on. I just wanted to make sure that if the light came on on my way home from work, I'd be able to make it home without a problem...

Thanks again

jeff

Jeff:

That info should be in your owner's manual... it's around 2 gallons or so of usable gas. As far as how far you could "push it" before filling up... that's a good question. Your car weighs around 3000 pounds. How strong are you? ;)

But seriously... why would you want to? I've seen my low fuel light exactly once in several years of ownership of the car, that was intentionally letting it get down to see if the thing worked. I'd rather not push it, literally or figuratively. We get around 23 MPG city and 29 hwy with our '03 Impreza... personal best of 33 mpg on a long highway trip with a tail wind.

Steve

the book for my 03 says that i have about 2 gallons left. i wouldn't drive too much with the light on though... you don't want to get stuck pushing it... you should be able to go about 35-40 miles or so before you are really screwed (they get about 22-30 mpg depending on the driving). you should be able to get to the nearest and cheapest gas station with the light on, but i wouldn't do much more driving than that...

Heya'll...

I've had my '05 Outback sport for about 3 weeks now, and love it... quick question... once the fuel light comes on, how much gas is actually left, and about howq many miles can I push it before filling up again?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Jeff