Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does any one make a locker for a Suby?

Guest Overkiller

Guest Rooinater

i'm interested. hey Travis. email me!! i'm being stationed in <strong>yuma, arizona</strong> for the next 4 years. just a couple hours away. we could go wheeling!! and we can test the subaru's ability on the AZ trails. i've been in dire search for someone to wheel with when i arrive in 2 months. send me a phone # and i'll try to get all my good offroad pics from my family back home. my car is fully set up for wheeling. please call me or email me. i'm on the east coast right now, finishing up my school for Aviation Electrician for av-8b harrier jets.

i'm sure my car won't do the hammers, :rolleyes: i don't want that challenge. but the florence and apache junction area i'd die to try them! :eek:

<strong>Contact Me</strong>:

425-359-3927

PFC Cook, Jared W (AVI)6332

Namtra MarUnit

PSC Box 8055

MCAS Cherrypoint, NC 28533

jwcboardtilldeath@snowboard.com

thank you!! contact me, please!!

Guest magnificent subaru

Travis,

It's good to see some folks come over here from POR. Hope your idea works for locker fabrication. Of course the rear locker would be trick. But a front locker would be better. Most of the guys who have been doing this for a while, and on the forefront of Subaru offroading will amaze you with their ability to drive these small cars and wagons/brats/hatches... With or without locks, lifts, and unimog axles. ;) What is missing is the type of aftermarket boltons and replacements you speak of manufacturing. Welcome over to the USMB!

Ross in Idaho

• 1 year later...

Did you really expect anyone to really "design" one, manufacture it and sell it for a price that makes sence for an old Subaru?

Whenever I hear these threads I just sit back and laugh :lol:

I'd love it if it did but...Nothin's ever gonna happen!

Deal with it.

Did you really expect anyone to really "design" one, manufacture it and sell it for a price that makes sence for an old Subaru?

Whenever I hear these threads I just sit back and laugh :lol:

I'd love it if it did but...Nothin's ever gonna happen!

Deal with it.

Hey mudrat79 made that front lsd. I would buy one. I am just saving up. I don't mind spending the money for what I love to do. Plus the dang cars run forever and you can always swap the parts into another 250$ beater when you kill one.

I am collecting as many cheap and free subes as possible that way I can always wheel my favorite cars :)

Hey mudrat79 made that front lsd. I would buy one. I am just saving up. I don't mind spending the money for what I love to do. Plus the dang cars run forever and you can always swap the parts into another 250$ beater when you kill one.

I am collecting as many cheap and free subes as possible that way I can always wheel my favorite cars :)

yes, Mudrat makes a front LSD, and subaru makes a rear LSD, we know about this, but, as said in the name, LSD's still Slip. noone makes a true locker, and most likely...never will.

IMHO, a front LSD is a waste of money, just rig up the parking brake cables to independant handles, and when it get's hairly, lock the spinning wheel. it's not as clean as posi-trac, but it's hella-cheap, and almost as effective!

• Like 1

yes, Mudrat makes a front LSD, and subaru makes a rear LSD, we know about this, but, as said in the name, LSD's still Slip. noone makes a true locker, and most likely...never will.

IMHO, a front LSD is a waste of money, just rig up the parking brake cables to independant handles, and when it get's hairly, lock the spinning wheel. it's not as clean as posi-trac, but it's hella-cheap, and almost as effective!

Forget the ebrakes; just floor it. :-p

Momentum 4 teh win!!!11111

I recieved a prompt reply from my email to powertrax (which is now owned by richmond gear) and I think they may be interested. If you want a locker for your suby now's your chance. Email the gentlemen and let him know you'd love to have a locker for your car. If we let them know there are crazy people who like flogging their cars offroad we could have a professionally built and manafactured locker to fill this untapped market. So lets all email MBolding@richmondgear.com and let him know we have money waiting for a locker. Here's a copy of our emails so far.

To: info@powertrax.com

Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 5:01 PM

Subject: Why don't you make a locker for ....

Older subarus? Many people are picking up these cars for cheap and modifying them for off road use. The subaru set up has the car in front wheel drive on the street and locks the rear end in for 4x4. A rear lock rite would be totally unnoticed on the street but would totally transform the car off road. Owners are currently welding their rear diffs and pulling CVs for street use. Many owners would be overjoyed to install a rear lock-rite and save this hassle. As an added bonus the subaru rear diff is the same unit used in Datsun 510s. With one product you could be the sole supplier to 2 untapped enthusiast markets. Please feel free to contact me if you would like more information on the growing off road Subaru market, or if there's anything I can do to help you make a Subaru rear locker a reality.

Thanks

Travis Heidenreich

THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT MARKET. I WILL COPY OUR DESIGN ENGINEER AND NATIONAL SALES MGR.THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST IN POWERTRAX.

MICHAEL BOLDING

RICHMOND TEC

864-843-9231X160

I did as you asked and requested production of a locker rear end and the response was :

WE DO NOT OFFER ANYTHING FOR YOUR VEHICLE.SORRY

Thanks,

Michael Bolding

Customer Service

So is this guy really going to try and produce these things or what??

I had a thought, kind of brought up by the dual-ebrake post...

How about "traction control" instead of LSDs/lockers? Given the relative adundance of ABS systems in JYs (as compared with LSDs), it might be cheaper to modify a Legacy or similar ABS system to fit earlier cars and provide traction control functions.

Though archemitis' post is reality and a buzz-kill.

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone could send me the specs my wifes uncle is a master machinist and has all the tools money and metal if she coaxed him I could have one built in two to three months

anybody wanna try send me some specs thanks mike

What if he had a whole diff + carrier ? I got a spare one I'd happily donate to research :brow:

Ill give and address you figure the sending cost Ill go half

PM me the address. I have a freight forwarding company I use for large items. I'll reply with a quote from him. Pick up would be at a hub/dock somewhere to keep costs down.

Thx

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Damn! This thread/idea died in the arse didn't it?!

I too am after a rear R160 diff locker, namely an air locker for total lock when I want it offroad (not always ;)) and open when I'm on the black top - I'm in the midst of building up an L series AWD centre difflock gearbox with 4.11 diff ratios. Hence the air locker for the rear end.

I've been down the welded rear diff modification road and hated putting in and removing the CVs all the time. I went the open diff again after heading to the snow and the EJ conversion.

Now I'm after an air locker for the rear - but like everyone else there's a load of resistance from manufacturers. I reckon there would be a great market for this item - especially if it was fitted into the standard r160 diff housing, then everyone with an AWD subaru would be able to use it if they desired.

I for one want one and would definitely be lining up (and saving) for a rear air locker for the r160 diff.

Cheers

Bennie

since man started driving subie in the offroad genre, he has wanted locker.......

thisthread went nowhwere because it is like many others.a few at a time willing to partially pony up for something being manufactured, then the cost being to high to pull off.

this idea has been here for a long time, but no one with the machining knowledge has stepped forward to offer a cheap alternative to the market....much less a choice at all.....

the costs involved would not net the proper profit is usually the theme that is encountered.played out by stating that they are willing to manufacture if a preorder of 25 or so is made....etc.....

for a while i was working on an idea of a collar for an axle to act as a locker...with a lincoln locked center chunk you could just disengage the axle....

kinda like a circular puzzle piece that could ride on bearings, and push together to engage, pull apart to disengage.

but, i digress, i too could not afford the machining of the pieces, etc..

these posts come out about every couple of years.......cheers, b

for a while i was working on an idea of a collar for an axle to act as a locker...with a lincoln locked center chunk you could just disengage the axle....

kinda like a circular puzzle piece that could ride on bearings, and push together to engage, pull apart to disengage.

but, i digress, i too could not afford the machining of the pieces, etc..

these posts come out about every couple of years.......cheers, b

They make such a thing for retrofitting cars that get towed behind RV's.

Remco Axle-lock:

remcoaxlelock.jpg